1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm No Chef, But Still...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dirk Legume, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I was at my in-laws this weekend and was working with my father-in-law on a project on the workbench (Christmas decorations).

While I am waiting for my very limited skills to be needed, I am fiddling around with his staple gun, the kind that has the "easy to squeeze handle".

I shot myself in the middle finger of my left hand. Drove the staple right in. Fortunately, it did not go all the way into the finger or through the bone and I was able to wedge it out quickly.

There was a lot blood, and I got faint for a bit, but a band aid seems to have solved the problem.

I have a history of troubles with tools, but I had gotten better over the years and my wife was just beginning to let me start to use power tools on a regular basis. I had even fixed some things around the house and they had stayed fixed.

She says all that is gone now and I am, once again, on restriction.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Awesome. Glad to hear you're OK, but I got a pretty good chuckle out of that.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Chef cuts his thumb off and throws it to you to show his appreciation for the thread topic. [/BYH]

4. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Oh yeah, OK, but embarrassed and I have spent the last half hour since we got home listening to my wife call her friends. Every call starts with "guess what he did?" :)

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

As stuffed as my head is, I'd hire Dirk or Chef to do surgery on my nasal passages right now. Otherwise, work tomorrow is going to B-L-O-W.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Obviously just a ploy to earn a lifetime pass out of doing home improvement projects.

Well done.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Dirk, the worst thing isn't that you did it but you did it in front of your father-in-law.

He's still wondering why his daughter married you. :)

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I swear, I never feel pressure like I do when I'm helping my father-in-law out with handyman-type stuff. As a wimpy writer, I'm all thumbs with this stuff, but, well, he only has one daughter and one son-in-law so when he needs some help moving stuff at his house, he calls me. Fortunately, I've never really embarrassed myself, and he even complemented me to her (a not-so-common event) when I helped him move a few years ago.

Still nerve-wracking though.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bastard! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted