1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm missing marching bands at college football games thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Sep 22, 2020.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My wife played timpani and percussion in the Wyoming Western Thunder marching band. We were in Laramie for a game several years ago and she almost teared up when the band marched by in the pregame show. Besides the "Ragtime Cowboy Joe" fight song, a huge tradition is the "beer song."

I also love the Minnesota Rouser.

2. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I do believe that the “lack” of marching bands this season is due to COVID 19.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Not college, but still....

I have two kids in high school marching band. None of the teams coming to play here are bringing their bands, but we're sending a "pep" band to our out-of-town football games. The pep band is 100 band members, and they'll be spread out among four buses, one kid to a seat. (The entire band is 200-plus kids.)

I don't know why we're going to the trouble and expense of sending a band of any size to away games if none of the other teams are bringing their bands here.

And our band's halftime show is really basic and pretty short and set to the music of Queen. Before pandemic, it was to be a full show with props, based on Billy Joel's Piano Man.

maumann and ChrisLong like this.
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

1) Do the kids like going to away games? Do they feel safe clinically and physically?
    2) Do they behave ... i.e., they don't drive the band director, the bus drivers or any other adult who travels with them up the wall from the moment the buses leave campus until they return?
    3) Does the football coach like the band's presence, especially at away games? Do the players?

Good answers to these questions nullify the issue of whether bands from other schools show up to yours. None of this is about the other bands. It's about the band for your children.

maumann likes this.
  5. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

The Atlanta Braves have a marching band?

maumann likes this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Tom Petty

Sweet Home Alabama in Tuscaloosa
    Enter Sandman in Blacksburg

love these little cool traditions that really don’t make the TV coverage

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted