1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm missing marching bands at college football games thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Sep 22, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Once heard a band leader walking along with some band members after a game (a loss) and one of the members said someone told her "you don't sound as good as you used to" - the band leader told the band member. "When the football team isn't good, we don't sound as good."

HanSenSE, expendable and ChrisLong like this.
  2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

My hs didn't have a marching band, but we had a band that played in the bleachers. There were drums, couple horns, two electric guitars, and electric
    bass. Louie Louie, Another One Bites The Dust and Led Zeppelin Rock N Roll were great.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

USC's "Tribute to Troy" is almost as insipid as the Tomahawk Chop, but the band itself is pretty good. Sort of like "Boomer Sooner" or whatever Texas plays with every first down. We get it. Stop assaulting us with it.

My issue is "Fight On." It's really just going up and down the scale, with a call and answer. It's not particularly inventive, whereas there are a lot of west coast fight songs that are way more interesting.

Like ChrisLong said, Stanford is just a bunch of smart kids trying to act non-conformist and actually sucking at it. It's a California thing, for some reason. UC Davis is a smaller but better sounding copy. And Humboldt State was even worse, if that's possible. Best band for the size at the time was Northridge. They looked and sounded great.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Man, I don't know. I've been on the field at the Coliseum when the USC band comes out of the tunnel playing the fight song and it was absolutely fabulous.

My wife played in her MWC college's marching band.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You may find that Amazon Prime’s upcoming limited-series adaptation of Taylor Jenkins Reid’s novel Daisy Jones & The Six fills that space quite nicely.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

We played "In the Stone" my freshman HS year and our director emphasized not screwing it up, really getting into it and we did. It was popular with some of the Drum Corps International groups then (and maybe still is) and we played it some competitions. If you screwed it up or had a weak-ass effort, everyone knew and you felt like shit. You didn't screw up the National Anthem or ITS.

Unsure if I have a favorite band or performance. I enjoyed the hell out of the first time seeing and hearing LSU's band come on the field in Baton Rouge for a night game and Ohio State's at a bowl game. When I wasn't stuffing my piehole at halftime I usually watched some of the show.

maumann likes this.
  7. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

You know damn well this thread would include me posting the only band guaranteed to show up and show out -- from the Netflix show "Marching Orders" -- the Marching Wildcats of Bethune-Cookman University.

I'm posting the show from when we played at Florida State in 2013. Check out the fun we're having at 4:50

8. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

FAMU? Please.

maumann likes this.
  9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I used to go to Harvard football games. Supposedly the halftime band show was hilarious, but 90% of the time I couldn't make out what was being said over the PA. When I could hear what was being said, the jokes made no sense to me.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oh, there could be an entire thread about band narrations of halftime shows. The PA never seems to be as good as the one used for the game for some reason and always sounds like a CB radio, the pacing is always rushed and drowned out over the music and the jokes are all nerd humor.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Suddenly I want to see a halftime show based on “Convoy.”

12. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Same with the Yale Precision Marching Band. I got a kick out of seeing someone playing the accordion or violin or whatever, but half the time it was hard to understand what they were trying to do (blame that on the Yale Bowl's shortcomings when it came to audio).

Draft saved Draft deleted