1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm missing marching bands at college football games thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Sep 22, 2020.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

West Coast bias:

ChrisLong likes this.
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Delta House bias ...

maumann likes this.
  3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

When I was in the marching band in junior college, we had an electric guitar, bass and organ. We played rock 'n' roll on the field and in the street. Kick-ass brass and a big drum section. In 1970.

Two years ago when USC had to redo all of the season tickets and effed it up, they required us to join an athletic support group. For one of the "perks" they "allowed" us to go into a private party area just outside the Coliseum to be able to buy $14 beers ... 30 minutes before kickoff. The ticket rep enthusiastically pointed this out. I told him, from where my seats are it would take 20-25 minutes to get to them from the party tent. 30 minutes before the game, I want my ass in my seat to enjoy the band's pregame show and the national anthem. We did not renew the seats that my friend had since 1976.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Loved that Tusk video, FM boozing it up with their wine and hard drinks, the cutout of John MacVie. It must suck to be in the UCLA marching band. I really don't think SC's band is all that great. Cool unis, and I guess sunglasses are part of their uniform now whether they're playing indoors or out, night or day - but musically? They don't have a deep repetoire.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

For my money, one of the greatest band performances of all time was LSU's halftime show against Auburn in 2001, when they beat up Auburn kicker Damon Duval.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

A Troopers show, right down to the sunburst. I approve. I'll even overlook the lack of a high mark time coming out of the sunburst.

maumann likes this.
  7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Disagree on USC's musical range. On TV, you only see a little pregame and during-game stuff, which is always the same. You never see halftime when they do a lot of different music.
    My JC band, which I referenced above, we did a mass-bands halftime show for a UCLA game and we blew their band off the field.
    Stanford has excellent musicians, but they are goofing around so much their songs aren't tight. Doesn't sound all that good.

8. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

As a four-year member of the UConn Marching Band, I agree wholeheartedly with this message.

Some of the best friendships of my life were made in this group. Made the transition to college, and the time in college, 1,000 times better.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup. If I posted something visual, it would be something from my marching band back in the era.

And maumann, my high school band director was an N.C. A&T alum. Part of why I was trying not to laugh at our college brass section that could not wrap its collective head around "In The Stone."

10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Haven’t seen that video since I was a kid. Remembering thinking how cool it was they had a marching band playing with them as well as (since I had no idea who was in Fleetwood Mac) why the one guy was carrying around a cardboard cutout of himself. Now, I realize it was Fleetwood carrying McVie.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Fleetwood Mac would be a fantastic limited run series. The drugs, the relationships, the hook-ups and break-ups. Really surprised at least a fictionalized version hasn't been done.

And I'm not talking about this. Didn't realize Andy Borowitz once produced sitcoms.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wonder how many of Stanford's band members are pursuing music degrees. That shouldn't matter, but some schools make things competitive - some overly so, I suspect.

My school didn't offer a music degree program, but started offering a minor shortly after I got there. Great department, fulfilling classes and a minor well worth the time and energy.

maumann and ChrisLong like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted