1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I'm looking for **** love."

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 10, 2007.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

This happens from time to time when I put my iPod on shuffle instead of just listening to a playlist.

A thread we had here the other day made me realize how much I miss Alice in Chains.

I guese Poe would be artist that falls into this category.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I saw Poe live about 10 years ago and was starstruck. Stage presence like I have never seen.

3. Mods --
    Geils was my hometown band. Then I went away to the midwest for college and i saw they wer eplaying warmup for It's A Beautiful Day ("White Bird"). I dragged my dorm buds down to the show early, JGB played their entiire set. Got an encore. The another. Then a third. IABD came out and played their one hit, got booed into the wings, Geils came back and played their last three songs AGAIN and Wolf said, "Look. that's all we know. Let these guys play and we'll come back in the spring by ourselves." IABD played three numbers and left. Geils came back in March and burned.
    Blow your face out, bayyybeee!

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Awhile back there was some Pink Floyd discussion on a thread (can't remember which one) and it made me pull out the Floyd for the first time in years. Good stuff.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fenian remembering the good ol' days:

[​IMG]

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's an awesome story.

7. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I'm posting this for the second time tonight, because it needs to be heard. So sue me.

Fenian, you gotta check this out--John Lee Hookeer and Van Morrison:

She come round here...come round here...bout midniyight...come in my room, room...And her name is G...

8. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

The "Come as you are" video was a blast. Went looking for it, but no sign of either "Come as You Are" or "Can't get Started" on youtube. Did find "Lights Out..."

It pisses me off when people talk about J. Geils and assume they started with "Centerfold." Ten years of great music before that...

9. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

A high school friend who attended Rhodes College (at the time it was Southwestern University) bought tickets to see J. Geils Band in '81 or '82 at a club in Memphis. Tried like hell to get me to come visit and go to the show, but I never really cared for J. Geils even during their MTV heyday.

What a fuckup on my part.

The opening act went on to have a pretty respectable career: It was U2.

He still makes a point to show me the ticket stub when he's back in our hometown.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

An American Top 40 was on from May 1988 tonight on XM. I had the opposite experience of everyone else in this thread. I never needed to hear Groovy Kind Of Love by Phil Collins ever again, but damned if I didn't hear it again.

On the other hand, Casey Kasem had perhaps the greatest unintentional bit of comedy of all-time -- Casey explains Rap Lingo '88.

Hey, I'm just lampin'.

11. I love that clip. On the album, when they spell Gloria, Van says, "What's that spell, Johnny?" and Hook says, "Lucille!"

To tie the whole thread together, way backm when Peter Wolf was the overnight DJ at WBCN in Boston, and Van was living in Cambridge, Van would come in and sit with Wolf on the air, spinning R&B and talking about music. I'm most jealous of a rock critic pal of mine who once got invited to a Cambridge dive by Van. Four people in a booth to hear Van play "some new stuff I wrote." Turned out to be Astral Weeks, on an acoustic, start to finish.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The first album I ever bought was Joan Jett and the Blackhearts "I Love Rock N' Roll"...

The second was "Freeze Frame" by J. Geils Band.

Based on some of the other shit music I bought as a kid, I'd say the first two hold up pretty well...

Draft saved Draft deleted