1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm in love with shaving again

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Sep 8, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Count me among the Fusion users too. Love the razor and the blades last a few weeks, if not longer.

As a threadjack, along the same subject line, which shaving cream does everyone use? I use Edge.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I've never been "in love with shaving" because I get bad razor burn. Do you get razor burn with the electrics?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Aveno shaving gel will make that razor feel twice as good.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Barbasol.
    Menthol.
    A lot of it.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Frankly, this thread title gives me the willies.

That said, for those of you sitting on some trust-fund money; or married to a railroad heiress or a White Russian duchess who got out of Odessa with the family's collection of Faberge eggs intact, there's Kiehl's brushless shaving creams. Very expensive, but mighty silky. Who needs a flatscreen TV when you can have a close shave instead?

[​IMG]

6. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I'm still using the Schick Quattro.

Maybe it's just me, but I refuse to buy the Fusion because, more than any ads I have ever seen, the commercials make it seem as though all men are easily manipulated idiots. I mean, it's not even subtle. Ooohhh, lasers and sparks and metallic colors and chrome --- oh GOD look at that chrome! --- I need to buy that!

As for that Kiehl's stuff, it's not that expensive. $20 a canister or so.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Sensor Excel. Regular Barbasol. Gillette Series gel aftershave.

No razor burn since I went to this trio...I don't shave against the grain, though...not worth it.

8. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there some kind of 'test' a barber has to take, if they want to shave customers using a straightedge razor, where they shave a balloon without popping it? I know I'm fucking that up, but it something along those lines.

I have a 100-year-old straightedge that I've been dying to try. It still looks good and is very sharp.

Is there something that you can apply beforehand to cut down on razor burn? I use gillette foamy but if I shave every day or two, I get this horrible razor burn that looks like the aftermath of using a cheese grater on the side of my face.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

My mom has owned and operated her own beauty salon for 35 years. That is right about the straight-edge test. When I go get my haircut and need a shave, she'll pull out the straight-edge. Then, after she's done, she'll get a hot towel and wrap it around my face. AAHHHH.

10. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

11. IU90

IU90 Member

[still crickets]

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I got one of those Gillette Fusion razors in the mail too, but it's still in the package until I use up all my cheapy disposables.

Draft saved Draft deleted