1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm in love with shaving again

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Sep 8, 2007.

1. patchs

patchs Active Member

I have the Fusion Power and like it.
    Every time Gillette comes out with a new razor, I have to buy it.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I use the Fusion. Those blades are supposed to last six weeks, give or take, so we're talking eight or nine blades per year.

Last year my wife bought me an old-fashioned shaving mug and soap and brush and old-fashioned razor, not the straight edge you sharpen but the kind you use razor blades with -- it came with some blades from Germany. Wife bought the stuff from Vermont Country Store online. I cut the hell out of my face for a couple weeks before deciding that I liked the Fusion better -- I like the idea of the old razor, but I was starting to look like Frank-enstein with all the cuts. I love the mug and brush, though.

There's a little shop near me that sells soaps and bath stuff that I've used as a nice go-to place when needing to buy gifts for female relatives. Tucked in a corner is some men's Art of Shaving stuff. Lady who owns the place always slips a sample of that stuff into the bag whenever I've bought a gift there, and I've been converted. I'm not sure the preshave oil does anything, but I have it and use it sometimes. The shaving cream is great -- I just put a dab atop the shaving soap in the mug to get a richer lather. The aftershave lotion really does help with razor burn and irritation -- I use that every day.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, goes with the squish he cooks in the skullet...

And I loves me some Costco....

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've used pre-shave oil before and I don't think it does anything...

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Don't ever question the great stoob. He's allowed to make contradictory statements. It's the rest of us that can't.

Just like it's the rest of us that attack him. He never incites anyone.

6. BRoth

BRoth Member

I've always used electric razors because I can't handle regular blades. They feel like I'm ripping my face off. I'm yet to invest in a nice razor, but I don't even know if you save money in the long run. All the nice electric ones cost more than $100 and suggest replacing the blades every 6 months.

Then again, I've never tried the Fusion.

7. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

My face can't seem to handle anything more than two blades. I've tried them all, but always end up going back to the Sensor Excel.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

If it were close to KY, yes. :D

Am I hired?

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

As I was scrolling down the second page, I said to myself, "I still have my Mach 3. ..."

I've had it for a long, long while ... maybe three years, possibly four. I've also got the same pack of blades. Of course, I only shave about twice a week -- depending on my assignment schedule. When I was in college, I shaved once every two weeks during my senior year, so I've saved quite a bit of life in my razor/blades.

10. accguy

accguy Member

I am also a Fusion user.

My reason is this: What I like most about the Fusion is that it's the first razor I've ever used where I felt like I could really get whiskers out from between the blades. With razors I used previously, I'd find the blades getting so full of stuff that they were ineffective before the blades would be truly dull.

The Fusion is open in the back, so you can run water from behind and rinse whiskers and the like out.

It's great. And while the blades are expensive, they do last a long time.

11. T2

T2 Member

I've used Norelco electrics for decades, never followed the "suggestion" to replace the blades, and have had no complaints.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

I use the way-too-expensive top-of-the-line Braun electric, but it's worth it because I have zero complaints.

Draft saved Draft deleted