1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm hired!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Congrats and don't look back.

2. joe

joe Active Member

Thanks again, everybody.

If you have stories about how you got on your feet, or about how the process is going, I'd love to hear them.

As for me, I have another mag writing assignment to report and finish before I start my job, and I'm hopeful that I can keep that as a side job while I work full-time.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Joe:

This is great news. Congratulations!

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Congratulations. This is great, and I bet it add to the excitement that you can finally tie the knot in your relationship. Kudos!

And, if it won't blow your identity or anything, what aspect of university work are you going to be in?

5. joe

joe Active Member

I'll be working in a department within the Extension office.

And my identity is pretty well known, so no worries about that.

6. joe

joe Active Member

It's strange. Usually every day involves checking the big university and little university and local jobs boards. Then, when there's a job that sounds like I qualify for it, there's the pulling-teeth ritual of crafting a cover letter that makes me sound like a great candidate and hits the qualifications, demonstrating why I am who they need.

And now, for the first time in three and a half years, I don't have to do that.

Before I cleaned a boatload of them out, I bet I had 75 or more different cover letters sitting in a folder, some as far back as when I lived in Florida — and we haven't lived there in two years. I feel for the folks in Florida because that economy and job market got absolutely pounded when the bottom fell out. We're in a much better place now.

I wish I had great advice to give that would help others land a job. What worked for me was a partner who refused to let me wallow in it, who believed in me, encouraged me and gave me a kick in the ass when I needed it (which was all too often).

Good luck, interwebs friends. Good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted