1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm hired!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Congrats!

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's great news, Joe.

I can't even get Demand Media to return my emails ... not that I'm bitter or anything.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Congrats.

And now, the real hard work begins.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

If you can survive scoring for Pearson, you can survive anything.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm not about to call you darling - but congrats. Extremely happy for you.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Good for you and your family, Joe!

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!!

8. joe

joe Active Member

Thanks, folks. It's been a damn long road.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

10. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Congrats, Joe!! Best of luck in your new job.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Been there, done this.

Your post feels so familiar.

The reason you're happy, but not so/that happy is because, well, sure, you finally got something, but you're like, "So, what took so long?" and "What's wrong with me that it did?"

The questions that plaque all through a long, usually fruitless and seems-like-it's-a-waste-of-time-yet-you-have-literally-no-choice-but-to-keep-trying, even-if-and-when-you-don't-really-care-or-really-want-to-anymore? They don't suddenly just stop just because, someone, somewhere, in a job that may not even be related to what you've spent your life doing, suddenly decides to hire you.

Most people who are leaving this business are not doing so of their own free will. That means there are feelings of unfinished business, a lack of closure that, in many cases, may not ever really be resolved.

Not to mention the self-esteem and confidence issues that constantly arise, even after another job is obtained. Basically, you are a little afraid, despite the good news.

But don't be. Just consider this a fresh start and try not to look back. It's hard, especially if you never wanted to leave you former job in the first place, but make the best of things and move on.

As with many things in life, that's really all you can do. And if you stop thinking of what you used to do, and give this new venture a chance, there is good new potential for something good to come of it. Seize the opportunity.

Oh, and also, all that part-time work you've been doing? It gets to be kind of comfortable, and nice, after a while (except for the financial aspects, that is, of course), and now, well, you'll have to get used to working, every day, in nine-hour shifts (or more), again... :)

Reallly, there is a little bit of that...It's why people who can afford to do so can be perfectly happy working part-time. It's ideal if you can do it, and live well. But most of us can't.

12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

That's really cool. Congrats, joe!

Draft saved Draft deleted