1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm going to Toronto/Buffalo!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mltru2tx, May 20, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

mltru2tx, I haven't spent much time in either place, but I have been to both multiple times. I'd echo what bubbler said. More Toronto, less Buffalo. Toronto is way more cosmopolitan. I have two friends who love the city. Fly up there randomly on weekends just to get away.

The drive between the two is actually kind of nice, and allows for some fun stops, including Niagara Falls. I did the drive once -- flew to Buffalo because it was way, way cheaper and rented a car to go to Toronto. It cracked me up, because heading into Canada, they were virtually waving me through customs with a smile and a lollipop, but heading back I felt like I was trying to pass through the Berlin Wall. And I am American! Be prepared for a wait, depending on when you return, and don't mess around with the U.S. custom's guys. I got the sense that they won't hesitate to take the smart ass off the to side and sit him down and have him watch them take the car apart bolt by bolt. It's why I was all "Yes, sir," "No, sir."

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Don't mess around with ANY Customs people in any country.

I must admit that the last time we drove through US Customs (last summer) to NYC the guy was a first class asshole and coming back, we could have had a backseat full of glocks and the bored Canadian customs guy wouldn't have seen them.

But it could just as easily be the other way around.

"Yes sir" and "yes ma'am" are always good.

Never give out more info than necessary.

TAKE OFF YOUR SUNGLASSES, HC!! (Jesus, that's a story)

You will never win an argument with a customs officer.

Get yourself a passport.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Take it from someone who's been deported from Canada, customs officials do not have a sense of humor. I would have been deported anyway, but my point remains.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I once had my car ripped apart by customs when I was coming back into the U.S. from a Grateful Dead concert in Hamilton.

5. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Yeah, I guess I didn't mention it, but we're doing the fly to Buffalo, rent a car, drive to Toronto thing. We're definitely spending the majority of our time in Toronto. We're flying in tomorrow night and driving straight to Toronto and then driving back over on Sunday and hitting up Niagra Falls before staying in Buffalo Sunday night and then flying back Monday morning. Short trip, but it should be fun. Thanks for all the tips.

Oh yeah, say I wanted to maybe sneak back in some tobacco that happened to be from a political rival to the USA...any successfully proven ways to get that done?

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

The Falls are beautiful.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you're crossing back into the US on Sunday, allow yourself lots of time at the border.

"Sneaking back in some tobacco" is called smuggling. Don't even think about it.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Did the same trip a few years back. CN Tower, plus a ball game and a night stay at the Skydome.

As for the bars, I hear a place called: Government is the most exclusive night club.

I distinctly remember some drunk dude telling me I would be able to smell the pussy as soon as I walked in the door.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Eh, don't go the trouble of a passport. They take forever to get and a birth cert and drivers license do the trick. Be straightforward with the customs people. If you are straight forward it should be no problem.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Get a passport. Doesn't make sense not to have one if you do any travelling at all

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/air_travel/documents_needed.xml

All persons including citizens of the United States traveling by air between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda are required to present a passport, Merchant Mariner Document (presented by U.S. citizen merchant mariners traveling on official business) or NEXUS Card (NEXUS enrollment is limited to citizens of the United States and Canada, and lawful permanent residents of the United States and Canada). Children will be required to present their own passport.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Eh, do go to the trouble of a passport. The laws have changed. While the customs folks may not ask you to drag it out, have it handy in case you run into the sort that adheres to the letter of the new law.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Enjoyed knowing ya, Sam and gramps. :)

OK, I'm posting JR's things to do in Toronto e-mail. I don't know if he ever found it ... and it contains nothing untoward. It was a group effort of a couple SJers, apparently. Took out the time-sensitive, no-longer-relevant parts.

For the record, our hotel was Hotel Victoria. Spartan, but in the city proper, and it did the job for cheap.

Draft saved Draft deleted