1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm going to Toronto/Buffalo!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mltru2tx, May 20, 2008.

1. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Anyone have cool ideas of things to do for four dudes on a guy trip? So far, we have Hockey Hall, CN Tower and we're staying in the SkyDome hotel to watch a Blue Jays game. By the way, has anyone ever done that? Is it worth it?

Any other cool places to hit up? Bars? Good restaurants? Anything?

Also, we'll be in Buffalo for one night. Any cool places there?

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The HHOF is terrific and the CN Tower is cool. But the day we went to the CN Tower, we had to wait in line forever. If we hadn't already bought tickets, we would have been tempted to skip it.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Stop by Niagara Falls, if only for a couple hours.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There are hundreds of bars and restaurants within a few blocks of the Rogers Centre. Shouldn't be too hard.

I live in Toronto and I've been up the CN Tower once in my life--and only because the tickets were free.

I was co-organizer of the SportsJournalists.com outing in Toronto a few years back.

I had a "What the Hell to Do in Hogtown" e-mail that I sent out. I'll see if I can find it and PM you.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.tuttimatti.com/

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I stayed in SkyDome hotel once, but didn't have one of the rooms with a view of the field. I had tickets to the game though. The hotel is very nice. No, I did not steal one of the cool bathrobes.

ondeadline is right about the line at CN tower. I took my son there last summer and there are two separate lines to wait in: the first line, then a second line to go from the middle to the top. It's very cool though.

JR recommended lunch at Irish Embassy, and it was fine. Not cheap though, and they gave me a funny look when I asked for a low-end Canadian beer.

Have a good time!

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Make sure you do Niagara Falls from the Canadian side. Way better.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ask Wicked about the Irish Embassy!

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Anchor Bar in Buffalo. The cradle of wings as we know it.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If the Bisons are home in Buffalo that night, Pilot Field/Dunn Tire Park/NorthAmericare Park/whhatever they're calling it these days is a great place to watch a game, far nicer than anything in Toronto. First of the retro-style downtown ballparks. It's on Swan Street, right off the I-190, and just toward downtown from HSBC Arena.

The Pearl Street Grill near the stadium is a nice place. Lots of good bars up on Chippewa Street downtown, or out on Elmwood Avenue in North Buffalo, near Delaware Park. If your friends are into architechture, the Darwin Martin House is one of the most famous ever designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It's also in North Buffalo, on Jewett Parkway.

Anchor Bar, out on Main Street toward Canisius, is the home of Buffalo wings. Some do not like their product; I do. They're the original-style finger wings, not the steroid-buffed out brand served at a lot of places these days.

Find a place that serves a beef on weck, a traditional Buffalo roast beef sandwich. Here's a link:
    http://www.10best.com/Buffalo/Restaurants/Beef_on_Weck/index.html

Most of those place are out in the burbs; Laughlin's is downtown, Anderson's in North Buffalo. Schwabl's is great; I can also attest to No. 9, the BarBill.

Niagara Falls is always worth a stop. If you're into history, nearby Old Fort Niagara is neat as well. I'd recommend on your way down from Toronto to escape the QEW (the worst road in North America) and take the Niagara River Parkway instead, right along the river.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You're going to Buffalo? I'm sorry.

J/K. Good luck! Hope you enjoy the trip.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'll second everything Micro said about Buffalo except for the Anchor. Yeah, I know they invented wings but the couple of times I've been there, it was either an off-day in the kitchen or they're just plain crappy.

Pearl Street's great and if you're looking for a relatively inexpensive hotel close to the Park, the Adams Mark is OK.

And yes, Micro is also right about the QEW. The shittiest stretch of this highway is when you come off the bridge from the US to about 40 kilometres down the road. The damn highway makes us look like a third world country. (Yeah, yeah, yeah. :))

Draft saved Draft deleted