1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm getting married tomorrow

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ArnoldBabar, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that was brutal.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And you KNEW it was coming, from someone, somewhere.

4. Congratulations!

Not a beat writer, but have been married almost 11 years now.

A few big things have helped me & Mrs. Thunk (my way better half) succeed. No miracle cure, just common sense applied as consistently as this bonehead can:

Communication -- try never to go to bed angry at each other. It's more important to get things worked through than to get that full night's rest and let things fester.

Consideration -- I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you haven't already heard, but it's a partnership, and with that partnership must come a balancing of your individual interests with the interests of your wife and (ultimately) the family. Communication helps a lot with that too. So does a third "C": compromise. A good sense of humor helps a lot too.

"I was wrong" is a good phrase to learn, but I would recommend never saying "I'm sorry" with flowers or presents. Doing so means, if you want to occasionally spontaneously bring home flowers or a present or some other token gesture of affection (also not a bad habit), your motives likely will be called into suspicion.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

quality last line(s).

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

All your weddings are belong to Arnold!

7. I hear all this talk about saying "I was wrong" and I don't buy it.

Aside from a few really dumb things I've done to Mrs. Murci -- for which I apologized profusely -- I don't have to say I'm wrong very often. She's my best friend. We spend almost all of our time together. I want to make her happy. I like doing nice things for her. I like doing monotonous things for her.

If you set it up like that, I don't see how you can be wrong in the first place.

Also, marriage to the right woman is awesome. Best thing going.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm wrong about 20 times a day, dog ... i'm guessing you are, too.

9. Nope. I'm really not.

I run afoul of my wife very rarely. Even small stuff. I know what time it is.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Congrats Arnold.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, you are never wrong? nice to meet you, jesus.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

and two more: i'm sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted