1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm getting a new car...help me make my decision

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mltru2tx, Jul 14, 2007.

1. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Anyone have any experience with the following cars...

I'm looking at these and still might look at others. They aren't top notch cars, but they're what I can afford, in order of most affordable to least, but still doable.

Dodge Caliber SE (car/SUV hybrid)
    Ford Fusion fully loaded (leased)
    07 Chevy Malibu with 30k miles but a bumper to bumper 100k warranty included
    Nissan Sentra
    Nissan Altima (leased)

Any input or experience with these would be helpful. Thanks.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My first car was a '94 Nissan Sentra. Reliable as fuck. I drove it into the ground at 174K miles a few years ago, but it was a great car that never let me down.

3. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Oh, I'll also accept suggestions for comparable cars that aren't listed. Thanks!

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I have a Nissan Sentra right now. It's a 2000. I have changed the oil probably 6-8 times. Still runs like a champ.

5. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Oh yeah, or a 5-year lease on an Altima for $179/month, which is the most affordable, but a 5-year lease.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I've owned two Nissans. Strong, strong cars mechanically.

If you can afford to look into a Nissan Altima, consider a Toyota Corolla, as well. It's tough to make bad picks among Nissan, Toyota and Honda.

7. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

Get a monster truck. Then no one will mess with you.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't understand leasing.

You're paying the dealer for the privilege of driving their car, pay for the maintenance on the car, and when the deal is up, what do you have to show for it?

9. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Maintenance is covered and the payments are lower. There's definitely downsides, but also upsides.

10. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Toyota.

I have a Camry, which is a little more expensive, but damn is it worth it. I have had it for four years and haven't put anything into it but oil changes and other standard maintenance and a set of tires. It runs awesome and should for another four years (without major problems).

(Note: I am currently looking for some wood to knock on).

11. lono

lono Active Member

For the love of all that is holy, whatever you do, stay away from the Dodge Caliber. Total POS in every respect - workmanship, quality, depreciation.

The Fusion is the nicest Ford car in years.

The Nissans are great, but I'd recommend a Honda. Bulletproof and a little more fun than the Toyotas.

12. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Thanks for saying that about the Caliber. I just saw it today and the guy was so scummy, used car saleman-ish. I was hoping I'd get a reason to not go back there. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted