1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm done writing tab stories! YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxer, Aug 8, 2008.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Here in rural Pa., it's the other way around. The neighboring county (population 18,000) has five high schools, but only one is large enough to field a football team. Two of the others have always -- or at least dating back to the mid-'80s, when I was in school -- played soccer instead.

Interesting to see the expanded choices in some of these small-town schools. 20 years ago, football and girls' basketball were the only fall sports at my alma mater. This year, same place, I have seven teams to preview ...

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Fuck I wish we were at the point of doing our football tab.

Teams up here don't even start their first practices until a week from Monday. By the time we can get anything worthy of a preview story, it's gonna be the 25th.

That leaves me with two more weeks of covering crap summer sports. :(

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

a little place called hell on earth.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Take a trip to Presidio and you'll find out why.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Dude, Texas has all kinds of sports that are non-traditional that I have no desire to cover.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Beaker, the day you figure this cat out, let me know.

He hates Permian, because they suck now. But he only loves Texas football. At the same time, he has no clue about most areas of Texas high school football.

The high school soccer in Texas is badass. I'm glad there are areas it is shown more love, it should be.

High school football outside of about 7 states is terrible. Absolutely terrible.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

What 7 states, 'gola?

8. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Same here...except summer sports are now complete after our Legion team got no-hit Friday then lost Saturday to a team they beat Wednesday...

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Like cow chip throwing. Or sorority rush.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Only in Texas is mariachi a UIL-sanctioned activity.

And 'gola, you may have missed my earlier note about Presidio dropping to 2A.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Damn. I knew that, just didn't remember it.

My bad.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Texas, California, Alabama, Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio and probably another Deep South one.

Draft saved Draft deleted