1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm done with the Dallas Morning News (Long rant)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flip Wilson, Oct 10, 2008.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

This is a common rant I hear that I think the industry doesn't understand. Give people a lot and let them, individually, decide what's important. The trend is to cut and leave in just what surveys show gets the "most" interest from readers (i.e. hyper local). But people don't necessarily drop their 75 cents just to read what's most important. They, like all customers across all realms of business, want to feel like they got a lot for their money. So please, do cover the local stuff. But make the product look and feel complete by giving a broader picture. That extra paper and newsprint goes a long way in making those now harder to get ads more valuable, imo.

There is a lot to be said for quantity.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I agree with Flip. The DMN might be OK compared to other modern-day papers but compared to just five years ago, it sucks.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't think I've read a DMN in about two months.

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I figured Flip was an upset cross country parent.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

The devil made him do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted