1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm Done With Starbucks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Nov 30, 2006.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Who says 'yuppie' any more? That went out with women wearing bow tie blouses with suits.

Look, I get up, walk out the door, I want coffee....hey, there's a Starbucks! Look, there's another one! And another! I suppose I could get in a cab and find a place that isn't Starbucks, but, you know, I think I'll just run across the street and not waste the time worrying if someone think I'm pretentious. Because, IT'S JUST FREAKIN COFFEE!

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Yeah, JR, I'm going to have to disagree with you here ... I don't go to Starbucks because it makes me feel smart or hip or cool or whatever. I go to Starbucks because I like strong coffee, I like the steamed milk, I like the sugary syrups and I like the whipped cream. And frankly, I'd rather pay somebody five bucks for that one coffee than do all that work myself.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

7/11 isn't good enough for you? Pmmmhh

And Flash, glad to know that you are all about syrups and whipped cream

4. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Good to know that my Starbucks habit makes me both hip AND pretentious, two things I've always thought were out of my grasp.

Who knew?

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I like the caramel apple cider. Did I say that already?

My wife says I buy more CDs are Starbucks than I do at a music store.
    Hell, I buy more coffee at the music store than I do at Starbucks.

Of course, I AM a pretentious snob. But not because of Starbucks.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Your snobbery is multilayered, my friend... ;)

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The coffee that I make at home (Peet's) and the espresso that I make at home (Illy) are both better and cheaper than Starbucks. But I like me my coffee, and there aren't many good alternatives out there.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

How did I not prepare myself for a crack like that?

9. Fubar

Fubar Member

What's always been interesting to me about where I live is that indy coffee shops actually are pretty successful around these parts. Starbucks are still every 100 yards or so, but the entire area is peppered with smaller chains and non-chain places as well.

Honestly, I think Dunkin' Donuts has the best coffee when on the run.

Of course, none of this really matters. I'd much rather only drink coffee from Hawaii with Carlos Lee on the package:

[​IMG]

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That is probably what Slappy was thinking.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

No way. The Nationals are for rubes.

As for coffee, it sucks. No matter where you get it. But Starbucks sucks more than most places because they don't have fountain soda, so I can't even go to the coffeehouse with my wife.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You know why I keep going to Starbucks? Because the coffee has twice the caffeine of anybody else!

It cracks me up when marketing types say, "We have to emulate the lifestyle relationship Starbucks has with its customers." Yeah, inject your widgets with massive amounts of caffeine, and then you'll emulate it.

Draft saved Draft deleted