1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm Done With Starbucks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like vodka sauce, dammit.

I don't like vodka though.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

There are different levels of a "burning" sensation thanks to the alcohol. There are different mouth feels (cheap ones "taste" oily, more distilled ones "taste" smooth.)

There is not any flavor. Except what is added.

The penne alle vodka thing works as a flambe -- in my opinion, the flambeeing changes the flavor of the sauce. But you could do the same thing with everclear -- the flavor doesn't come from the liquor, but rather from the high heat applied quickly to the entire surface area of the sauce when the alcohol in the sauce catches flame. It will also be thinner, because while the 40 percent of the liquid added burns off during the flambee, 60 percent of vodka is still water, which remains to thin out the sauce. Which again, changes the flavor somewhat.

My whole thing is that they should just call if flambeed tomato sauce, and be done with it. But maybe that's too French for American menus. You'll never recreate it with a jarred pasta sauce, either. Whenever I see it on a menu, my mind conjures pictures of joe and jane sixpack at home throwing a cup of White Eagle into a jar of prego -- or, better yet, blowing up the trailer if they actually remember to attempt the flambee.

Long story short -- if you like it, and you can get it in a decent restaurant, go for it, whatever they call it. Just don't think it will taste the same out of a jar or at home. The trick is in the flambee, not the ingredient.

If that makes any sense.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Mine wasn't made with tomato sauce when I had it.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Cream sauce?

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Some kind of pink sauce...lobster related.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Fravored with robster craws? [/longdukdong]

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Cream sauce and tomato sauce mixed, or rose sauce?

That I have made, with Absolut Peppar, and it was good.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't think there was any tomato sauce to it. Consistency was fabulous.
    But I've never had rose sauce that i know of (before that night, if that's what it was) so I can't speak to that.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's cool.

I got my rant off my chest. I feel better.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Sandpaper Sally on the corner at $15 a throw?

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

For $15 a throw, bitch better have a pastrami sandwich, too.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Hey, I think you just helped me to decide what to have for dinner.
    Pastrami with mustard and some skank on the side.

Draft saved Draft deleted