1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm Done With Starbucks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Nov 30, 2006.

1. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I'm not a huge coffee freak, just one in the morning will do.
    But I must admit I love Starbucks. Burnt and all, it's strong stuff and I appreciate it.

Only two issues: I take it Venti, without all the "ccinos" (can't even imagine spending $5 for something that doesn't alcohol in it). But I do like a squeeze or two of raspberry syrup (the standard Starbucks portion is five squeezes, which makes it candy, so you have to specify).

New issue: apparently they've .... DISCONTINUED the raspberry flavour. Nothing else comes close. Not sure what I'm going to do. I saw a bottle of the stuff for $11.95 on e-bay but they want $16 to ship it to Canada. Not sure if a bottle of the stuff is worth $35 Canadian on principle. But I'm considering the investment.

The people with complicated orders that I don't even understand (although the baristas seem to get every word) always seem to line up 10 in a row in front of me. I understand the frustration there, big time.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

For the record, I had udon for lunch.
    I'm now going to start a thread about noodles.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

When I was a kid - before Tims got all huge - the ones I'd go to had a large painting on the wall of Horton as a Sabre. Those are all long gone now, probably around the time they changed the name from Tim Horton's to Tim Hortons.

4. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Not true, at least for American stores.
    Valencia is done for, and supposedly Cinnamon Dolce is returning in January, but Raspberry is still very much alive and well in the U.S.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I hate my people. We don't even have half-and-half to put into it, have to create our own concoction of cream and 2%
    Not to mention a pound of the coffee, with tax, ends up around 17 fake bucks.

And another thing ... we can't even get Amaretto-flavoured grocery-store coffee creamer, or vodka-flavoured spaghetti sauce (like Emeril's or Newman's own).
    I can't even fathom why, although the connecting thread there is a "liquor" flavour that's probably not even the real thing.

But we do have Dunkin' Donuts everywhere. :) And we can get great hay fever/allergy pills over the counter.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

ballscribe ---

I feel your pain.

I usually just get a coffee at Starbucks, but if I did splurge, I'd get a latte with Irish cream.

More than a year ago now, Starbucks discontinued the Irish cream flavoring.

Fuckers.

Local java joint still carries it, however. Guess who gets my business?

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Wait a second...what??

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Vodka-anything pasta sauce is the biggest joke ever played on the american diner.

Vodka is flavorless.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

No, it's not. What kind of vodka are you drinking?

Anyway, I had some penne alle vodka at an italian place once. Fantabulous.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I like Ouzo-flavored Doritos.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

ijag --

Unless it's marketed and sold as "flavored" vodka, vodka is in fact flavorless.

Any flavor you can get from flavored vodka, you could get much more easily by skipping the step of putting the flavor in the voda and simply put the flavor in the sauce.

Penne alle vodka is penne with thinned out tomato sauce.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Flavorless in that sense, yes.

But it's not like drinking water. There's a taste to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted