1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm Done With Starbucks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Nov 30, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Why didn't you just bring your own?

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Earlier this year, on the day that McDonald's launched their new "premium" coffee, CNN's American Morning did a blind taste test out on the street. The 3 coffees offered were from Dunkin' Donuts, McDonald's and Burger King. BK won the taste test.

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I thought McDonalds was brewing Newman's Own coffee now?

Anyway...give me a medium regular from Dunkies, that's all I need.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's because it is burnt. They roast the beans too long.

Oh, and as for this "lifestyle" thing, I never accused Starbucks of positioning themselves as "lifestyle" choice versus "it's just freakin coffee".

They've claimed that all along as part of their branding. You know, the CD's, the books, that godawful failed magazine they put out a few years back called "Joe". It's culturelite.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Jackie Mason on Starbucks- A Little Levity

You want coffee in a coffee shop, that's 60 cents. But at Starbucks,Cafe Latte: $3.50. Cafe Creamier: $4.50. Cafe Suisse: $9.50. For each French word, another four dollars.

Why does a little cream in coffee make it worth $3.50? Go into any coffee shop; they'll give you all the cream you want until you're blue in the face. Forty-million people are walking around in coffee shops with jars of cream: "Here's all the cream you want!" And it's still 60 cents. You know why? Because it's called "coffee." If it's Cafe Latte $4.50.

You want cinnamon in your coffee? Ask for cinnamon in a coffee shop; they'll give you all the cinnamon you want. Do they ask you for more money because it's cinnamon? It's the same price for cinnamon in your coffee as for coffee without cinnamon - 60 cents, that's it. But not in Starbucks. Over here, it's Cinnamonnier - $9.50.

You want a refill in a regular coffee shop, they'll give you all the refills you want until you drop dead. You can come in when you're 27 and keep drinking coffee until you're 98. And they'll start begging you: "Here, you want more coffee, you want more, you want more?" Do you know that you can't get a refill at Starbucks? A refill is a dollar fifty. Two refills, $4.50. Three refills, $19.50. So, for four cups of coffee -- $35.00. And it's burnt coffee. It's burnt coffee at Starbucks, let's be honest about it. If you get burnt coffee in a coffee shop, you call a cop. You say, "It's the bottom of the pot. I don't drink from the bottom of the pot. But when it's burnt at Starbucks, they say,"Oh, it's a blend. It's a blend." It's a special bean from Argentina....." The bean is in your head.

And there're no chairs in those Starbucks. Instead, they have these high stools. You ever see these stools? You haven't been on a chair that high since you were two. Seventy-three year old Jews are climbing and climbing to get to the top of the chair. And when they get tothe top, they can't even drink the coffee because there's 12 people around one little table, and everybody's saying, "Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me, excuse me..... Then they can't get off the chair. Old Jews are begging Gentiles, "Mister, could you get me off this?"

Do you remember what a cafeteria was? In poor neighborhoods all over this country, they went to a cafeteria because there were no waiters and no service. And so poor people could save money on a tip. Cafeterias didn't have regular tables or chairs either. They gave coffee to you in a cardboard cup. So because of that you paid less for the coffee. You got less, so you paid less. It's all the same at Starbucks - no chairs, no service, a cardboard cup for your coffee-except in Starbucks, the less you get, the more it costs. By the time they give you nothing, it's worth four times as much. Am I exaggerating?

Did you ever try to buy a cookie in Starbucks? Buy a cookie in a regular coffee shop. You can tear down a building with that cookie. And the whole cookie is 60 cents. At Starbucks, you're going to have to hire a detective to find that cookie, and it's $9.50. And you can't put butter on it because they want extra. Do you know that if you buy a bagel, you pay extra for cream cheese in Starbucks? Cream cheese, another 60 cents. A knife to put it on, 32 cents. If it reaches the bagel, 48 cents. That bagel costs you $3.12. And they don't give you the butter or the cream cheese. They don't give it to you. They tell you where it is. "Oh, you want butter? It's over there. Cream cheese? Over here. Sugar? Sugar is here." Now you become your own waiter. You walk around with a tray. "I'll take the cookie. Where's the butter? The butter's here. Where's the cream cheese? The cream cheese is there." You walked around for an hour and a half selecting items, and then the guy at the cash register has a glass in front of him that says "Tips." You're waiting on tables for an hour, and you owe him money.

Then there's a sign that says please clean it up when you're finished. They don't give you a waiter or a busboy. Now you've become the janitor. Now you have to start cleaning up the place. Old Jews are walking around cleaning up Starbucks. "Oh, he's got dirt too? Wait, I'll clean this up." They clean up the place for an hour and a half. If I said to you, "I have a great idea for a business. I'll open a whole new type of a coffee shop. Instead of 60 cents for coffee I'll charge $2.50, $3.50, $4.50, and $5.50. Not only that, I'll have no tables, no chairs, no water, no busboy, and you'll clean it up for 20 minutes after you're finished."

Would you say to me, "That's the greatest idea for a business I ever heard! We can open a chain of these all over the world!" No, you would put me right into a sanitarium. Starbucks can only get away with it because they have French titles for everything, Nazi bastard sons-of-a-bitches. And I say this with the highest respect, because I don't like to talk about people.

--- Jackie Mason

6. I still haven't found a non-Starbucks equivalent to the Frappucino, which sucks since I'm somebody who drinks cold drinks in cold weather. Hot beverages put me to sleep, caffeinated or not. DQ, Dunkin' Donuts and the local hippie venture's versions are way too sweet. Tim Horton's came close, but I go to Canada about once every six months, so that doesn't help.

McDonald's iced coffee is pretty good, at least when somebody makes it right. But there's no guarantee of getting the same drink twice there. That's the closest I've come to finding an equivalent cold coffee.

With hot beverages, I get Dunkin' Donuts 10 times for every Starbucks run.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Thanks for reminding me that Jackie Mason is rarely funny.

8. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

McDonald's is serving Newman's Own, roasted by Green Mountain Coffee on the East Coast only as part of a test.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I can't put it any better than this. Testify, brother....

http://www.thekidfrombrooklyn.com/video_disp.asp?videoid=1049

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Went into Starbucks today for that peppermint mocha I craved so much. Noticed they're selling Christmas ornaments in the shape of Starbucks coffee cups. I'm guessing Boom won't be buying them to hang on his tree anytime soon.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf's Iced Blendeds are magical. Unfortunately, there isn't one within 1,500+ miles of where I live.

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

His rant on the PS3 is good as well as Spears' beaver.
    The guy should post here, he'd be a lot of fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted