1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'I'm done making my kid's childhood magical'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My son's 8th birthday was at a gym where they could run around like crazy people for 90 minutes and then 30 minutes of presents and cake. They could swing on ropes and land in a pool of pieces of foam and trampolines and giant tires that they can get in and roll and by the time 90 minutes were up every one of them looked like they were ready to collapse.

Every parent had to sign a waiver when they dropped their kid off. Most were fine with it, but it kind of freaked out a couple of them.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Board games are also a great and easy way to explain to kids that sometimes you win adn sometimes you lose... Since they don't keep score in most sports these days (at their age). This actually becomes necessary.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Winter birthdays are a lot more expensive to do than summer birthdays, but even something as simple as pjs, movie and pizza can still run you close to $100.

Lil 93 goes to 12-15 birthday parties every year. If taking her to a movie costs $10-12, which is less than the fun of a party, then I have no problem dropping $150 - $200 to have all of her friends over because they show her a nice time as well.

The older she gets, the cheaper the parities will become, also.

4. 93Devil

Yep

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think the best birthday my son ever had was when we took him and two friends up to the big city on a Saturday and went to high-end auto dealerships all day. He and his buddies loved sitting in Jags, Ferraris, Porches, Benzs, and even a Lambo. The salesmen were great, he got lots of decals and brochures, they took a ton of photos and we went to Subway for lunch.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I live with my friends who have 3 daughters (9, 7, 5 next month). I watch them play board games with their daughters and they bond. The other night dad and oldest played Mille Bournes. Wonderful moments emerged. I bought the family Perfection for Hanukah and again, they had the time of their lives for the next few days.

It's the simple things in life.

7. 93Devil

Playing board games... Giving them art supplies like paper and crayons...

Those are great ways ways to keep them engaged, but a $3 Iphone app is not the work of the devil, either. The Disney read to me books are awesome.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The Reading Rainbow app is really good, too.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Good, cheap fun: Farkle.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I believe children should create their own games with their own rules.

Which is why I loved this story so much.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/01/recess-without-rules/283382/

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One day in 6th grade, recess, we're divvying teams for work-ups (think kickball but with a few kinks). Carlos picks one team, I pick the other. Obviously we're going for the best players. Argument ensues. Carlos and I get in each other's faces.

"After school at the white fence!" he demanded.

After school at the white fence we met.

A fight tried to begin. Zero punches were thrown and hilarity ensued.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted