1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

i'm done in enc...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lesboulez, Jan 28, 2009.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Awful news. Best of luck.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

So sorry to hear it. Best of luck in landing on your feet somehow, somewhere.

3. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

thanks for the well wishes everyone...

the way it was handled was, eh, is there really a good way to do it?

TC is still alive in well in G'vegas.

and yep, i am the guy who knows the guy in japan. one of my best buds in the industry...i may have time to go visit him now 8)

... and good luck to all who are still employed.

r

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Randy,

Hang in there. It didn't look good when Cox put Greenville, Rocky Mount and Elizabeth City up for sale, and even worse when Jordan Whichard suddenly resigned.

Hope the people in Greenville handled this as well as possible ... from what I know of them, I would expect nothing less.

Take care ...

5. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Randy's one of the good ones. Back when we were both cubs, he'd rub the bunions on my feet along Church Street when they ached and would fetch my shawl when I felt the Chill.

He did all this despite being a hoity-toity U.Va. grad. For all of that and more, I echo Hustle's sentiments. Anything I can do (and don't know what it could be) don't hesitate to ask.

6. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

It always hurts when it's someone in your home state ... hang in their Randy - there's still a bright future ahead of you, most likely brighter than before...

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Hang in there Randy.

I wish I could say I was surprised, though. Greenville has been carrying five, at a time when Elizabeth City has two and Rocky Mount has two. A year ago, Rocky Mount was four and turning in the sections that turned into an honorable mention APSE.
    I just figured, sooner or later, this idea of stripping every 22k in salary in order to make yourself more attractive to potential buyers (that don't exist) would affect Greenville.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Washington's had some openings lately. Anything there?

9. Sam Mills 51

Not that the public is aware of ... I'd hesitate to even think about it if there were, and my grandparents have a nice river cottage in Beaufort County.

10. Sam Mills 51

I dunno, App. Could Paxton or Heartland be looking for another paper to buy and slash?

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

On to bigger and better places, mate.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Cox has been very fervent about selling all three papers together. Greenville prints all three papers, then trucks them to Rocky Mount and Elizabeth City.
    You're buying three papers and either having to build presses at two of them (and there's no room for one in either paper's current physical location), or looking at the ginormous gas bill to run all those papers up to both towns.
    I could see Paxton or Heartland buying one, but all three? There is probably not enough capital, and no bank is going to take on a loan that size in this market.

Draft saved Draft deleted