1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

i'm devastated for linda ronstadt and all her fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Aug 25, 2013.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

For some reason, the other night beore I heard about this, I looked up Ronstadt on YouTube with "Someone To Lay Down Beside Me." One of the most haunting songs ever.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpokrmp_h7M

They do not make voices like that often. This is so sad.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I always wanted Jerry Brown to be president on the hopes she'd be first lady

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No politics please !

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Going way back here but I recall a bit of a change in Ronstadt's fortunes, chart-wise, after she released Mad Love in 1980, a kind of "punk"/new wave album that was radically different than anything else she had done.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Mad Love" was a great album. Very solid covers of three Elvis Costello songs, and other good music,

Her "Voices on the Wind" duet with Little Feat is outstanding music as well.

7. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

How did her fortunes, chart-wise, change subsequent to 'Mad Love'?

'Get Closer', 1982, Gold

'What's New', 1983, 3× Platinum

'Lush Life', 1984, Platinum

'For Sentimental Reasons', 1986, Platinum

'Canciones de Mi Padre', 1987, 2× Platinum

'Cry Like a Rainstorm, Howl Like the Wind', 1989, 3× Platinum

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

One of the things that made an impression on me relatively recently was a recent tour by The Eagles where she opened for them. Back when the Eagles were getting started, they opened for her.

She was one of my absolute favorites. I'm really saddened to learn that she won't be able to sing another note.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Heard her voice covered SEVEN octaves. Amazing.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Not humanly possible. Three octaves is a huge range.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Someone on the radio lied to me again.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Glad this album is getting some love, so to speak. How Do I Make You is one of the best New Wave songs ever made. The last thing I really ever noted about her is that the Spanish-speaking press wanted to interview her for the Grammy won for Canciones de Mi Padre, and she finally had to admit she couldn't speak Spanish, that she did the songs phonetically.

Unfortunately, she also kinda got involved in the California drug lifestyle with groups like the Eagles. She never married, for whatever reason. One more from back in the day:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted