1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

i'm devastated for linda ronstadt and all her fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Aug 25, 2013.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm among her most avid admirers, always moved and amazed by her unparalleled musical gift: http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20728356,00.html

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

This is so sad...

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ronstadt was an amazingly diverse singer. Heat Wave and You're No Good still are in my regular rotation

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There are certain entertainers modern fans need reminded of every few years or so. Rondstadt is one of them. Tammy Wynette would be another.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Sad news, indeed. Love the album she did with Aaron Neville.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Posted this last night on the song thread. YNG after TD:

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'd like to say that she was the Joe Cocker of female singers, but really, she covered songs better than Cocker did. So it should be the other way around.

Poor, Poor Pitiful Me is very choice.

It's amazing how far out of the collective memory she's fallen considering what a massive star she was in the 70s. She was one of the first superstars I have memories of. Dominated radio at the time.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

She was also on Broadway as Mabel in the Joseph Papp production "The Pirates of Penzance" with Rex Smith and Kevin Kline. She had an amazing upper range that she never managed to 'connect' with her lower register. I just remember being dead shocked when I saw the film of this production in 1982 or so.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Loved the albums she did covering classic torch songs with Nelson Riddle and his orchestra. Their "What's New?" album is still a fave on my iPod.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this. She was huge and then just flat disappeared, for no particularly clear reason. (It long predated her medical troubles.) And she's from a fairly prominent Arizona family, so I would probably hear about her more than most people.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

She put on quite a bit of weight in the mid-80s (she is quite chunky in her appearance in the Chuck Berry movie, 'Hail Hail, Rock and Roll' in 1987). Plus as she moved through her 40s it was hard for her to keep up her sexpot image from the Seventies.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Hard to beat this voice.

Draft saved Draft deleted