1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I'm devastated and sad my [Pulitzer] dream has been stolen."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

ESPN essentially puts out a magazine to basically promote events that they are involved in.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Time Warner has no business relationships that would compromise it ethically?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Which I have no particular moral qualm about, but it is too close of a relationship for comfort when it comes to honoring the journalism alongside independently produced journalism.

4. Double Down

Examples, please.

I remember when ESPN The Mag did a story promoting the LSU-Alabama game this year they were broadcasting.

Oops, wait, that game was on CBS.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

It's only the second-largest cable provider in the US.

6. Dick Whitman

I imagine that Dodgers coverage and Tom Verducci stories would be ineligible, at the very least. And, in particular, Dodgers coverage provided by Tom Verducci.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think the distinction in the two cases is arbitrary.

Saying that ESPN won't report bad NFL news because it's a broadcast stakeholder is like saying the NYT won't report on sweatshops because Macy's buys $50 million in advertising each year.

It's demonstrably not true.

www.nytimes.com/1996/12/07/nyregion/union-says-big-stores-are-using-sweatshops.html

www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sports/concussion-watch/frontline-espns-outside-the-lines-team-up-to-examine-nfl-concussions/

espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8706409/nfl-concussion-program-marked-inconsistencies-making-difficult-assess-whether-league-making-progress-issue

8. Dick Whitman

It's not arbitrary and it's not the same.

ESPN paid the NFL $15.2 billion deal to broadcast its games. It's not paid advertising, marked as such. Again, it is the content of ESPN.

ESPN's journalism is compromised by its business relationships. I know this from experience. And that's fine. I get it. I accepted it. It is what it is. But it's too compromised to win Pulitzers.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

X games issue, World Cup,NASCAR NHL when they had vested issue in promoting to name a few.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That settles that.

Who's going to tell the Fainaru brothers? Or Don van Natta?

11. Dick Whitman

Again: It's fine. I read and enjoy ESPN. I get a lot of information from ESPN. I think ESPN does a very good job.

But the journalism is compromised too much by its primary purpose, to broadcast live sporting events, to be eligible for the Pulitzer Prize. In many ways, ESPN.com and the Magazine are advertising flyers for the real product: Live sports broadcasts.

12. Double Down

You make fair points, but I think you're holding the Pulitzers much too highly in the pristine air. You want the "Pulitzers" to be a paragon of virtue, therefor they are in your head. The Pulitzers are political in their own ways, compromised ethically by thousands of tiny biases.

The Huffington Post won a Putlizer last year, btw. Just one example of how odd and arbitrary the eligibility standards are.

Draft saved Draft deleted