1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I'm devastated and sad my [Pulitzer] dream has been stolen."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Anyone agree or disagree with my statement that ESPN.com shouldn't be eligible?

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

What if the commentary was on the NHL? ESPN doesn't have its finger in that pie anymore.

3. Dick Whitman

I'd have to think about that. It seems like it would be OK. On the other hand, the second they sit down at the table to possibly land a future deal, that's that.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Don't think Whitlock is at all gifted with the language.
    He has a talent for antagonizing people.
    Big deal, so does Donald Trump.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

You'd also be permanently disqualifying CBS Sportsline and Foxsports.com.

6. Dick Whitman

Yep.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think the New York Times' financial relationships with advertisers should make it ineligible for pretty much any journalism contest.

I think NBC's financial relationship with Comcast should make it ineligible for pretty much any journalism contest.

Is there journalism anywhere that isn't compromised by its business model?

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

MacGregor is a great writer, but he often overwrites to the detriment of some salient point that gets smothered in abstraction. Rare to read one of his columns all the way through without encountering some pretension that makes you roll your eyes.

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Poynter? *giggle*

10. Dick Whitman

Do you really think that advertising is the same as a business relationship between ESPN and, say, the NBA, NFL, ACC, and so forth and so on?

It's enough of a difference in degree that it's a difference in kind. And it's arguably a difference in kind, too, as ESPN pays the leagues, rather than the other way around. And Monday Night Football isn't some content marked as advertising. It is the content of ESPN.

No way in hell should ESPN be able to enter journalism contests with NFL, NBA, or college content. No way in hell should CBS be able to enter journalism contests with NFL or college content. Nor NBC with NFL, NHL, or Notre Dame content. And so on. The work is too compromised.

EDIT: I wonder if the Chicago Tribune ever won anything with Cubs coverage when it owned the team? If it did, that's a joke.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

So you're basically arguing only certain newspapers (The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is out, because its owner owns the Pirates. There are many other examples) and Yahoo can win. Way to limit the field in search of the best.

12. Dick Whitman

Yes.

And Deadspin. And SI.com.

Draft saved Draft deleted