1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I'm devastated and sad my [Pulitzer] dream has been stolen."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

" I feuded with and never made peace with ESPN because I see the Worldwide Leader as the enemy of sports journalism."

"ESPN is the very justification for the Pulitzer’s stipulation forbidding broadcast media outlets from entering its competition. "

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that ESPN's financial relationships with leagues and conferences should make it ineligible for pretty much any journalism contest.

3. sm72

sm72 Member

I agree things should change to allow online entries, so long as we all agree the type of person that writes this kind of column, or just Whitlock in particular, will never, ever get the Pulitzer.

4. Sadly, I see the subject line to this thread and immediately think, "Devastated and sad? That's redundant -- "I'm devastated and sad my dream has been stolen."

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Trying to gracefully make a point here without a knowledging my prior history with Mr. Whitlock is all but impossible, so read into this as you will.

Hasn't Jason argued for years that gunning for awards was part of what was killing newspapers? Did Mike Royko do the work because he loved the work, or because he wished to be acknowledged for his sharp commentary? It's fine to be motivated by recognition. The work is still the work, I suppose. But why attack others for "reaching for APSEs" then? Because APSEs are biased and the Pulitzers are not?

Um....

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Damnit, beat me to it. Well, here's the link.

http://deadspin.com/5982439/jason-whitlock-is-sad-he-cant-win-a-pulitzer-so-we-made-a-special-prize-for-him

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That Magary piece is outstanding, but the first comment steals the show:

admitting that he willingly chose to work in a medium that isn't eligible for the Pulitzers

Whitlock hasn't worked in a medium since he wrote for his elementary school bulletin.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Sorry, Whitlock, you're never going to join the ranks of other luminaries who have won the Pulitzer Prize for commentary. You are not worthy of Dave Barry's company.

/dumb rule about not allowing web sites, should definitely be changed.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As time goes on, there'll be some merger through which the Internet with its no-space-limit advantage will eventually dominate. That happened when the Cable ACE Awards went away and cable channel started dominating the Emmys with the advantage of no FCC limits.

11. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

Howard Bryant won the Online Commentary award from the Online News Association in 2010.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm going to submit the 2Pac thread for the best commentary Pulitzer.

Draft saved Draft deleted