1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm desperate! I need the help of SJ.com!!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by XXXX, Dec 10, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Just saying...if he's trying to bluff his way through not reading the book, he's going to have to do it with his writing.

That post, and its punctuation, didn't paint him as the type to be able to carry that off.

2. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I'm sorry, but it's a fucking novel, and not exactly Faulkner at that. Shoulda been reading. Hell, it probably would have been enjoyable, or at least moresho than the majority of material you'll see in college. Anyway, is there a specific question being asked?

3. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

The book being discussed is Smashed by Koren Zailckas. According to the book jacket, Smashed is the riveting and touching story of one woman's fight against alcohol. I would therefore posit that the book was indeed riveting and touching, especially the scene where she talks about being drunk and all the things it did to screw up her life.
    It is also worthwhile to note the title, Smashed. "Smashed" can mean a scattering or splintering, like the relationships that can be harmed when one is drinking. This, I believe, is an example of the use of metaphor Zailckas uses often throughout the book, especially in the parts where she recounts her battles with drinking.
    There is one scene in the book where Zailckas wakes up one morning hung over. This, coupled with another scene in which she gets very drunk, serves to show that drinking is wrong. Overall, I would say the message of Smashed is that it is bad to get smashed, because doing so "smashes" your relationships with those you love, as well as your self-control.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I had a teacher in HS who said to put EVERYTHING into your own words, because she said plagarism was copying anything four words or longer. FOUR WORDS.

I think XXXX is pretty well screwed.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Boy that brings me back.

Make sure to double space that puppy, provide five-inch margins and type it in Times Ten Roman 24. That might stretch it to three pages.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And do not forget to footnote.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I had a really tough teacher for Advanced Placement English during my senior year in high school. I was writing part time for the local daily, 24 hours a week, and I tried to b.s. my way through some classes. It worked with some people, but not with him. This was the 1970s and this guy still had a crewcut and did everything by the book. He sent a note to my parents saying, "His writing improves by the week, but he has progressively less to say. I would venture to say that he hasn't read even one of the assigned books this term." Thirty years later, I remember exactly what he wrote, and it was a good lesson for me about style and substance. My school asks alumni for money every year and that you designate the contribution in honor of a teacher. A couple of times, I designated that guy.

I hope some teacher calls this clown on his bullshit, too.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

You should've tried out for the football team. The "tutors" would've hooked you up.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Should we just write this for him? I'll start ...

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. It was the drunkest of times.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Was Terry Haute a character in that book?

11. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

How is "Smashed" being used in an English class?

What the hell is the course title?

"How to make a whole bunch of post-adolescent mistakes, write a book about it and sell the movie rights and live happily ever after"?

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Based on what he has to read and based on the locale, my guess is the protagonist is named Gen O. See. She drives a beer wagon.

Draft saved Draft deleted