1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm deciding between two cars...what do you think?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ijag. Get 09 if the fifty extra bucks won't hurt you. If it does, go with the Impala. Good luck.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Go with the Impala, IJAG.

(A 2008 or newer Mailbu would be a good choice, too. The 2008-introduced platform has been a huge success for GM. I bought a loaded 2010 Malibu last week. The final choice was between that and a BMW 328xi w/15,000 miles.)

Good luck.

3. bwright

bwright Member

I have to agree on the Impala, but like another poster, I'm a big vehicle kind of guy. Fiancee drives a Civic- I can't drive it because it's too small.
    Obviously you don't feel that way. Back to your issue:
    You're looking at paying twice as much for the Sentra. Assuming you only keep the car for three years (which I disagree with, financially, but that's another matter and one you didn't seek advice on), do you think you'll have 9,000 in repair bills (to make the warranty worth it)?
    As another poster said, you can put that extra $50 per month under your mattress to cover repair costs. That way, when you only have $1,500 in that span worth of repairs, you've got your next car almost paid for. After a while, your bed gets uncomfortable, so you want to make sure you distribute it evenly.
    Additionally, the '03 should be cheaper to insure, so you can put that money under the mattress, too.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Good points. However, those who know me in real life will tell you that while your reasoning is sound, it's not realistic for me. "saving" means nothing to me. Won't happen. I'm trying.

Insurance: The '03 is only $15 cheaper a month.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

IJAG, that's $180 for the year. This could also be a good time to re-price insurance. Call around, see what deals are out there.

My offer to oversee your repair fund still stands. :)

6. imjustagirl

I checked both of them with five insurance offerers. The cheaper for both was with Geico, who I'm currently with.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So the consensus here is the Impala...so if SportsJournalists.com advice threads hold true, IJAG will go with the Nissan.

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I support this, even though I dislike the Versa.

Did I miss the part about why you couldn't/won't get a Sentra instead of the Versa? If the Versa is by far the cheapest thing on the Nissan lot, that should tell you enough to get the Impala.

9. imjustagirl

The guy had to bust his ass to get me approved on the Versa. The Sentra's another $4K on top of that. I really couldn't afford it.

Why would the Versa being the cheapest Nissan send me to the Impala? Nissan's Nissan.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I almost always prefer new cars. I like having a warranty, I like the new-car smell, and I like knowing where my car has been.

(And those who consider themselves my intellectual superior because they "don't get hit with the depreciation" can suck it. I like new cars. You spend your money your way, I'll spend mine my way. Any car I have, new or used, is going to depreciate quickly, considering that 1/I drive my cars hard and 2/my kids trash my wife's cars.)

That said, I'm going to argue in favor of the Impala based on a factor that means nothing to me -- resale value.

A stripped-down Versa will be the auction-fodder equal of the Impala when it comes time for IJAG to trade up. The ONLY thing that Versa has going for it is that it's new. In three years, it won't have that.

I love Nissans; I once drove one to 180,000 miles. But if you can get a better feature set, more power and a greater degree of comfort -- and the car checks out on Carfax and/or with an independent mechanic -- get the Impala.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read this thread closely. And I gather sentiment is for the Impala. I'll just throwin there I had a Nissan (Sentra) for a good chunk of my 20s in the early to mid 90s and that sucker was reliable as all hell. I don't know how that bodes for a new Versa, but I figured I'd torture you more on your decision.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No radio. Crazy. Although you can get one aftermarket for real cheap.

Draft saved Draft deleted