1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm deciding between two cars...what do you think?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Get the Impala.

I personally have had fabulous luck with Chevs, and I also echo what everyone else has said: $300 per month and no bells and whistles? No way!

I think Carfax is where you can enter the VIN number and get a report about the actual vehicle, I would look into that. And if you have a friend who is a mechanic, have him/her look over the Impala before you sign the paperwork. If you are overly concerned about warranties, look into an aftermarket warranty (but RESEARCH AND RESEARCH, don't just jump into one!).

Another vote for the Impala? It's bigger. (This from one who will never willingly drive anything smaller than a 4WD truck.)

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, that's a big negative for me on the Impala. Never driven anything larger than my Sentra. When I drove my mom's GMC SUV one time, I parked 8 spaces away from everyone else at the mall. It's a BIG stumbling block for me to consider a larger car. That's a big selling point for the Versa.

Also, I've run the Carfax on it. I ran about 12 in the course of me looking for a car (p.s. I have unlimited Carfax searches until Nov. 17 if anyone is looking for a car and doesn't want to pony up for the Carfax subscription). It's been in one accident, but airbags didn't deploy, so it was minor. kleeda went with me and he signed off on both cars, and he's my car guy.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I also think Impalas are perfectly good cars, so if the history report checks out and it's cheaper, that ends it for me.

Sounds like that Versa is lucky to have four tires and a steering wheel...I've never heard of a radio-less new car. Yeah, you can add one aftermarket, but that's just more money on top of the already more-expensive car.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Question on the Nissan, IJAG:
    How far below MSRP is the Versa offer? Given that the 2010s are rolling out, they should be offering this at a very nice price if only to get it off the lot.

The Chevy has all sorts of financial advantages. The Nissan has a mechanical advantage (i.e., the engine and basic mechanical workings will typically last longer). If Nissan is offering a sweetheart deal on the Versa, I would think that would overrule the lack of luxuries. From a certain point of view, the power options are just something else that can break and is pricey to fix (didn't you have a power window issue with your Sentra?).

I don't see that much of a financial advantage on the Chevy. OTOH, dunno how much a stripped Nissan is going to fetch as a trade-in as those options are not only standard, but tend to be the icing on trade-in value.

I drove a Geo Storm GSi for years which had no power locks or windows ... like the Versa, a small car so I could reach where I needed to without much trouble to open everything but the hatch.

If you're going to keep this one as long as you have your Sentra, I'd go with the Versa.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I'd say the Versa is the way to go. With the Impala, when it's paid off you'll be driving a 10-year-old car with a questionable history of reliability. And its size and creature comforts won't mean a whole lot when you're at the shop again.

6. imjustagirl

It was hard enough to get it financed at the cost they had it (275 below invoice). No way they could have financed me if they were selling it for 9K or something.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

So, what did you do?

8. imjustagirl

Nothing, yet.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Probably a good thing. It's better to buy a car on your day off if you can, when you don't feel you have to be rushed into a decision.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Buy both. Then resell whichever one you don't like after a week or two.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Versas don't get mentioned in Hip Hop!

Right about now it's about that time for me to holler
    Girl, I wanna waller in the back of my Impala
    Woo, don't need no tickets for this thing

Wanna be a -- balla, shot calla
    Twenty inch blades -- on the Impala

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Agree with the latter part. I got my 2003 Hyundai Elantra new, 500 down... 297/month.. power windows, locks, cruise and radio

Draft saved Draft deleted