1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm buying a Mac. Talk me out of it.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

1) Get a job at a place that is a Mac-based environment.
    2) Use a G5 desktop for 8 months.
    3) Let them tell you they're switching you to a Powerbook G4.
    4) Rejoice.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'm a PC person. This is mostly because I like/need to tinker around and fix/improve the system. I don't abhor Macs, but I don't like how they make life difficult for all companies not called Apple.

Apple isn't a different company from Microsoft. In a lot of ways they are much worse. Yes, Microsoft has the problem of being a conglomerate which pushed other software out of the way. However, the same things that caused Microsoft to lose the lawsuit are the same thing Apple has been doing for years with Macs.

In any case, the choice is up to you on which type of computer you would like to go with. I will only state that you can obtain (thanks to Apple's switch to Intel) software for free that is somewhat comparable to MS Office for both a Mac and PC.

OpenOffice has almost everything (Download OpenOffice) that MS Office has for no cost what-so-ever.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article_email/SB119508572403993424-lMyQjAxMDE3OTE1NTAxODU1Wj.html

Here's a pretty good column that might be helpful.

Draft saved Draft deleted