1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm buying a Mac. Talk me out of it.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Nov 3, 2007.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

This thread is like saying "I'm going to be a Republican (or Democrat), talk me out of it."

People have unreasonably strong opinions on this matter, based on their own limited personal experiences and usually nothing more. Trying to talk someone from one side to the other is like pissing into the wind. When entrusting this amount of your money and your data to something, let research be your friend.

(And for the record, I have two laptops, a PC for work and a Mac for personal use. I'd pick the Mac 100 times out of 100.)

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I like my Mac and grew up using a PC. You save a lot of money on software and maintenance with the Mac but have a higher initial cost. Over time, I'd say price evens out, so I'd suggest a Mac.

3. Mac > PC. The end.

p.s.: The new Mac OS is loverly.

4. Just to throw in my two cents ...

Apple's software beats Microsoft's hands down. iLife (iTunes, iPhoto etc.) comes with your computer and iWork (Pages word processor), Keynote (like PowerPoint but better) and Numbers (new spreadsheet app.) are better than their Microsoft Office counterparts. I have the student version of MS Office for Mac and I now use Pages way more than Word. You can easily export your Pages file to Word format when you need to send a document to a Windows user and when I open the Pages files I've created in my copy of Word, the document looks exactly the same.

BTW - As others have suggested, if you're short on dough (iWork '08 runs $79 retail), you can find it easily on the Internet. Of course, Office for Macs is also out there in torrent format, as are a host of other Mac apps (not that I endorse that or have ever done it myself!)

Also, I am now in school, but I wasn't when I bought a Mac Mini a few years ago and my daughter was a year from being in kindergarten and I just claimed she went to the local public elementary school. Apple doesn't do a background check on you! So you can get the education discount at the online store pretty easily if you want.

Finally, as others have said, Apple's run on Intel chips now and can run Windows (either as a dual boot or at the same time with "Parallels" and hence any Windows app or game that a Dell or Compaq can run.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It's the little things which piss me off about MACs.

Like how in OSX you can only save basic text files in .rtf format.

The two-sided mouse functions for shit.

In OSX you can click for days and your application won't open. You have to get that god damned click just right.

If I have a problem with a PC I can diagnose and attempt to fix it. With a MAC, your options are limited in that regard.

6. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Basically, from what I've read here is that if you're not a techie, you'll find things to whine about no matter what operating system or hardware you're running.

I saved a lot of money by going with a PC desktop because I knew how to use it, how to prevent problems and how and when to upgrade. Two and a half years later I don't regret my decision to go PC one iota. My computer never freezes, it does everything I want and it does it quickly.

Some people say Macs are better if you're working with graphic-intensive programs like Photoshop. Not true. A PC with a video card and enough RAM will do just fine.

Some people say Macs are better because you don't have to worry about viruses, spyware and the like. Well, I haven't had a single virus because I use an antivirus program and my combination of Firefox and the extension Adblock means I almost never see ads on pages, much less popups.

If you're not that savvy and need a computer that's easy to use out of the box, and will work for years and years, Mac is probably your best bet. They really do work well and they have a unique, modern style you won't get without tinkering with your PC.

If you like to tinker or make your computing experience more flexible, go with a PC. Heck, if you want to save some money and feel comfortable doing things like adding a hard drive all on your own, it's an easy choice.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I think this is a big part of why I abhor all Mac.

A few years back I wanted to part out a PowerMac -- two at work were failing and if I parted one out, I could get the other running. The only way to open the tower would have been to break it. Working on them has been a disaster.

I have yet to run into a PC problem I haven't been able to solve. (I'm sure it's out there, but so far, so good.)

8. I think Arnold had it right. Mac vs. PC is very much like Democrats vs. Republicans, except in this case the Mac folks (usually the artsy, counterculture liberals) are the nutty religious types.

In Stephen Colbert's new book "I am America (And so can you)," Mr. Colbert concedes that those of us on the Mac side are very much a cult. Page 61, which is in the "Religion" chapter has a sub-section devoted to "All Other Crazy Cults" and while he doesn't mention the company, the text from that sub-section wraps around an Apple logo. I thought that little gem by Colbert was hilarious. I mean, you can't damn well expect members of the Mac cult to do anything but vehemently defend our religion, can you?

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Buying a Mac is absolutely the best thing you'll ever do. I would never even consider the other PC trash.

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I've been working on computers for over 20 years. I guarantee you if there was a way to open that case without destroying it, I would have had it open.

Like someone said earlier, this is one of those arguments where there is no changing anyone's mind.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My first computer was Mac Plus circa 1986. They retailed for $2600--I guess that's about $5,000 in today's loonie.

Had all of 1MB of memory.

Bought a Mac Performa--not Apple's best and have worked on Imac's since then.

Have a Dell at home...nothing wrong with it but there's nothing wrong with a Hyundai either--as long as you haven't owned BMW's..

Draft saved Draft deleted