1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm buying a Mac. Talk me out of it.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Nov 3, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If you buy a Dell, you deserve whatever happens.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I've owned nothing but Dells aside from my month and a half with a Mac.

Have NEVER had a single problem.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You're the lucky one.

4. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Once you go to a Mac, you'll never go back to anything else.

The Mac is quieter than any computer I've ever had.

The boot-up and power-down times are amazingly fast.

You don't have to put up with Internet Explorer anymore.

No more Windows security breaches, viruses, or blue screens of death.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You don't have to "put up" with IE on Windows, either. I'm running Firefox with no problems.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Same for me, with my Gateway MX6448. I also use it as much as you use your Mac, so extended use is probably the reason.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Uhh, you don't have to put up with IE on a PC either. Just download Firefox.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Just to counterbalance ijag's experience, my last Mac, a Powerbook G4 550, was an absolute workhorse for over 5 years and hundreds of thousands of miles and millions of keystrokes. Spilled on, rained on, jostled, dropped, banged, elbowed, and kneed from car seat to press box to aisle on the exit row - and not a hiccup. I replaced it earlier this year with a refurbished MacBook Pro, and couldn't be happier.

And we've had a number of Dells come through the house over that same time period for a variety of reasons. Our experience with them has been very poor.

As it has been with Windows.

9. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

The refurbished Macs are wonderful, and you save a decent amount. It's like of like a buying a new car. Get it with Zero miles of $35k or one with 5,000 miles on it $25k. Plus you've got the theory that they've fixed the bugs it started with.

Plus, I've been a Mac guy since the Apple IIe came out.

And my Dad still uses the dinosaur! Yes, the green screen, floppy disks, two disk drives, dot-matrix printer.

10. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

Macs are better than PCs, especially if your alternative is a PC running Vista. Mac's OS is far superior to Windows, and they're better engineered.

However there are a few reasons to choose a PC over a Mac (as I have done):

1) Gaming. If you like playing computer games (not stupid java/Shockwave applets, but real games) you want a PC. Most games aren't available on a Mac.

2) Small/obscure applications. You love an obscure basketball simulator? Use an 8-year-old calendar program that is out-of-date but is just what you need? There are just a *lot* more applications for Windows, and if you like anything obscure, chances are it isn't available on a Mac.

3) Price. Buckweaver is right. You pay a premium for a Mac.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Same here.

12. Giggity

Giggity Member

Here's the main problem with Macs:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

Draft saved Draft deleted