1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I'm bored ..."

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, May 20, 2017.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

School isn't even out for another week and the worst words in the English language (especially to a single parent) have already come spilling from my 14-year-old's mouth.

I seriously don't know what to do, and what's worse he doesn't either. He hates being outside and almost all forms of exercise, so parks are out. He used to love bookstores and the library, but now it's just a different location for him to play with his phone. Most of the time he doesn't want to see anything at the movies. He'd rather be shot than go to a baseball game, zoo or aquarium. He has no real passion other than video games and electronics, but once he burns out on those there is no reliable plan B. It certainly doesn't help that I don't live anywhere near his friends from school or church, and he's a decided introvert and homebody anyway.

Did I mention that whatever I come up with to amuse him (or at least pass the time) also needs to entertain his 5-year-old sister, who has the exact opposite personality? And it probably goes without saying, but Daddy Is Not Made Of Money.

Help.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Drop a ferret down his trousers. He won't be bored for long.

CD Boogie and dixiehack like this.
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And now, a word from the Chairman of the Bored.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Oh, you're bored? I have some work for you to do around the house."

That usually gets them finding something to occupy themselves.

OscarMadison and doctorquant like this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Maybe get a pretty good jigsaw puzzle going? Around Christmastime (and when on vacation) we get one of those started so there's always something to do.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Indeed.
    "Here's how you iron clothes."
    "Here's how we washed dishes when I was a kid."
    "Here's how we mop floors."
    etc.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Get him an SJ account.

Dick Whitman and Riptide like this.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Put in a Weezer album. That'll send him out of the house.

CD Boogie, I Should Coco and QYFW like this.
  9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Musical instrument. Summer class for high school kids at a nearby college.

Seems like a tough situation. I don't want to be an alarmist, but there could be a low level of depression, e.g. loss of interest in books.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There's actually a quite high level of bipolar, which is part of the struggle. It's a never ending battle with the meds to get it where he's not lashing out and violent vs being a catatonic zombie (which is where we are closer to currently).

Don't disagree with the chore thing, but there's only so far I want to push that given the above. Plus I usually get them just two weekends a month, so the natural instinct is to not bog either one down with a bunch of chores.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Take away his phone, and tell him to find something to do with himself. :)

(OK, that probably wouldn't be good, but it'd be interesting to see what happens, right?).

Now, here's my real suggestion: Maybe something that marries his interest in electronics with something that might be interesting, fun, and perhaps, useful as an introduction to practical uses of electronics in a future career. I'm thinking maybe Parks and Rec sponsored classes for computer graphics, animation or video gaming?

Personally, I would see what kind of zoological- or aquarium-related or horseback-riding kids' camps or tours or programs there are, even if you, or your son, think he wouldn't be interested. (Admittedly, that's mostly because I know that I would like those :)). But sometimes, things are more interesting and fun than kids might think. They just wouldn't know it until they're in the midst of it and suddenly realize that they haven't looked at their phone in three hours.

And if his church has youth groups/camps, and he has friends involved in them (or even if he doesn't), take full advantage of those activities.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted