1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm beginning to think more and more Cindy Sheehan is nuts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Jul 30, 2006.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

http://www.kxxv.com/cindy.html

Takes Casey's life insurance and hides the purchase behind a 3rd party. Nice.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Cindy Sheehan has every right to say what she wants, and to protest. She has every right to buy land with whatever money, funds or credit that is legally available to her.
    My complaint about her and those who are aligned with or use her is that they have this idea that she is beyond anyone disagreeing with her because she's the mother of a veteran who died in a war. She has no more moral authority than you or I or anyone else to either exercise freedom of speech, and no immunity from anyone rebutting her.

With that right, I can say, in my opinion, that she is one of those people who is eternally indignant, who seems to enjoy being a tragic figure and seems to enjoy her victimhood. I suspect she didn't start being pissed off at the world before her son died but it now gives her a helluva excuse.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Good post -- no, excellent post -- by Hondo.

As for Markvid: "Welcome to the party, pal."

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Hondo hits it out of the park. Excellent post.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

What Hondo said. Wow. I don't begrudge her right to protest, but there's a line where it stopped being about one thing and ended up being quite another.

6. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

"I am very sad it came to this point where we had to buy a permanent home," said Sheehan. "I thought President Bush would have resigned by now. But I am happy about a permanent home in Crawford."

What the fuck? Has her ego inflated that much that she actually believes a president would resign just because she protests? She was hanging out with the Venezuelan president, who Dubya obviously hates. Why the fuck would he listen to anything she has to say. I'm not defending Bush, but Sheehan should just shut the fuck up. She's just hurting her own cause saying shit like this. I'm sorry her son died, but she's just using his death as the means to an end.

7. You nailed it, hondo.

The part about her being beyond anyone disagreeing with her is the most galling aspect of her 15-plus minutes of fame. Some national columnists, like Maureen Dowd, have used this line. Well, how about mothers of veterans who died in the war who support the war? Are they above criticism, too? If Sheehan is, then they should be as well.

The truth is, neither group should be above criticism.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, she's a bit of a dingbat.

Brave position, guys!! Don't throw out you scapulas patting yourselves on the back for your courage in saying that.

But realize she is not near the danger to the Constitution or the freedoms we all are supposed to enjoy that the current president remains.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/07/27/specter_takes_step_to_halt_bush_signing_statements/

9. Just a couple of points:

1. It should be remembered that Casey Sheehan not only volunteered for service - he re-enlisted knowing that he was going back to Iraq. He believed in the mission enough to re-enlist.

2. Cindy Sheehan has found time to do everything except see to it that Casey Sheehan's grave has a headstone. Time to buy this land but no time to honor the memory of her son with a headstone?

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2006/03/mother-sheehan-too-busy-to-honor-casey.html

Money for her protest but no money for a headstone? You draw your own conclusions.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Perhaps she thinks a fitting tribute to her son would be to try to stop the war and prevent others from being killed.

A headstone ain't gonna keep anyone from getting killed. In fact, they are dangerous. you could lose a toe if it fell on your foot.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

A couple of replies...
    Not all soldiers re-enlist because of the mission. From those I've spoken to, which were over there, back, and over there again, they re-enlist to help their friends. The thinking is that their friends need the extra soldier(s) and that if s/he doesn't re-enlist the extra soldier brought in could be weaker or less effective. As it is, his/her "guys" already know him/her and they trust him/her.

They don't go back for "the cause" which quite a few thought was complete shit. They go back because of their friends.

I don't know whether this is true or not. And I'm not quite sure I care to know either. It is her choice, after all. And just because you think a headstone "honors" the memory of someone else, doesn't mean others agree.

As to the topic at hand... Just so I understand this fully, Sheehan is now adding to her craziness by purchasing a home in Texas. Is this correct?

While I'm not too high on that state and would almost never move there, I hear from others that there are some real nice places to live. I don't think I can call her crazy for choosing where to move.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Believe it or not, I actually agree with this. She has the right to protest but she's open to criticism as such. And I would like to ask all conservatives on this board to understand that I would never hold Sheehan up as the example of what's right on the liberal side.

As an aside, I'm from Texas, but I can think of lots of places in this state I'd rather live besides Crawford, a town which isn't all that great no matter who lives there.

Draft saved Draft deleted