1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm beginning to hate my life

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ecclesiastes, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I've been thinking about this post with regard to the daughters. I know it's only a small piece of the puzzle, but I know I get frustrated when I see my young female relatives -- who I know are smart and could be interesting people -- get sucked into this vapid persona and want to model their lives after the Kardashians. If they were my kids, I'd feel angry and helpless.

If you can, try to introduce them to as many different adult women as possible. Not just Amazing Supermoms or Inspirational Figures, but women with real lives, real jobs, real kids. Women who may have once been that vapid trophy girlfriend, but now they're single moms. Women who went to graduate school and are the household breadwinner. Women who are nurses or social workers or law enforcement officers who work on that rough side of town. Women who are too busy or too mature to give a damn about what their ass looks like.

Your daughters need to know there is more to life than looking HAWT, and as a parent you can help show them that.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Television/online shows also aren't helping on young females and their outlook on life.

For all of the angst about pigeon-holing girls between age 5-16 on traditional gender roles, the TV shows my daughter watches all have the same theme. Girl is worried about what some boy thinks, she's worried about her singing audition, back to worried about what the boy thinks, etc.

The character development in most of these shows is awful. We talk about it constantly and, while I know she likes the jokes and the entertainment, I keep telling her that that's not how the real world should work. I *think* she gets where I'm coming from.

Yet, with our son, there never is an issue with his shows and what the male character's role is as those remain diverse. We're too busy arguing about Peyton Manning because he is a child, blinded by empty statistics.

For all of the griping about equal pay for equal work, women with college degrees in 2014 'Murica have a 4% unemployment rate. 4% in a languishing economy.

Girls are hard to reach - as a father - but I always tell them they have the same opportunities as the boys and I expect them to be just as talented at whatever they do.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'd suggest staying off facebook if it bothers you that much.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I don't have any specific advice, per se, other than the only one who can fix things is you. If you sit around just waiting for things to get better, you'll need a very comfortable chair because the wait will be forever.

How you go about making things better is up to you. A good start, however, is to talk to the people who mean the most to you.

I once read a saying that I have come to strongly believe in. It goes something like this: "The quality of a man's life is in direct proportion to the number of uncomfortable conversations he is willing to have."

Draft saved Draft deleted