1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm beginning to hate my life

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ecclesiastes, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

First off, I agree with the idea of seeing somebody for your depression, because you are depressed.

The world sucks. Yes it does. Now get over it.

Stop whatever you are doing and turn the negativism that you have pointed at everything and turn it around. Look at what is good about your life.

Be thankful that you live in a fucked up country where you are allowed to be fucked up and don't have to bow to the whims of a dictator.

Be thankful that despite your shitty job, you have a shitty job. There are many people who don't have job and would kill to spend their day writing about what 16-year olds do.

Be thankful you have a wife. Stop and think. . . when is the last time that you did something nice for that woman? When did you go out of your way to remind her that you love her (you do? don't you?). You only get out of a marriage what you put into it so if you aren't making periodic deposits, don't expect any withdrawals.

Kids yel and fight with each other. Be thankful that you have two healthy ones because when push comes to shove, they will always be by your side helping you.

If your kids don't understand you, when was the last time you tried to understand them? Kids today aren't like we were when we were young. When we were young, our parents were trying to figure out what was wrong with us because we weren't like they were when they were young.

Guess what. . . they are probably going to turn out okay.

If you are worried that they won't be, take some time to teach them. Sure, they might not like to drop what they are doing to learn a little bit about politics or abuses to people overseas, but I bet you can capture their attention somehow. Then, take the time to learn about them. Kids today have aptitudes towards things that didn't exist when we were kids. . . even if it was just 15 years ago.

Here is a video for you. . . fast forward to 15:40. . . Dennis Leary really nails it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWTPm9avlsQ

2. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Find a therapist. This week. Move forward from there.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

To echo others, go get professional help. As to every other piece of advice here - ignore it. As far as I know, nobody here is a trained counselor/psychologist, and that's the type of person whose advice you need.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The best analogy I ever read for giving "look at the bright side" style advice to people suffering from depression is that it's like offering a flashlight to help someone look for their dog after they just told you they saw it hit by a car and killed. That's a solution to a different problem from the one they have.

5. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

But I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

But we can agree that it would suck to live in North Korea, right?

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OK, fair enough.

I wasn't thinking in terms of depression, but more about a guy who seemed frustrated because he wants to change some shit and isn't well-positioned to do so in his 9 to 5.

You can be frustrated with some aspects of your current existence and not be depressed. But you're right. A trained doctor ought make that determination. My layman's opinion - which will be unpopular here - is that drugs are probably one part of the solution? The other? Some form of "looking at the bright side"/behavioral/thought modification.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Dick, drugs are always the answer on SportsJournalists.com.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree about seeing a doctor and getting medicated...

I know some of the stuff is unavoidable, but you also need to make a point of avoiding things (when you can) that you know are going to upset you... Sometimes that means avoiding social media. Sometimes it means to stop watching the news. Sometimes it means, don't answer the phone in the office. Turn your ringer off and call people back if they leave a message. Often, they won't...

Religion can help, and it can hurt. There are so many churches that are ridiculously negative. I'm sure some on here will piss on this, but I watch shows like Joyce Meyer and Joel Osteen and it makes a positive impact on the beginning of my day, because they're very positive. They're not for everyone, but I think a lot of people can find that they can help.

As others have pointed out, try not to stress out about things you have no control over.

Hang in there...

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Side pussy.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Barnes and Noble.

But to stay on topic, yes professional help and possibly meds can be a big help.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'd say the 'take up drinking' point is a good one.

I also wonder if you've considered a career change.
    A newsroom is an incredibly negative environment. I left for PR/marketing a little over six years ago - best decision of my life.

Draft saved Draft deleted