1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm accustomed to getting it for free ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 18, 2007.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You can't really complain about somebody NOT extending you a courtesy, I don't think. Their choice.

Again, if they need something someday, you know what your paper's response will be.

2. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Generally most of the papers who would want anything in our area are our competitors, so it's a no there, but if someone else comes and wants something, I don't really have a problem with offering a courtesy. I'd hope that they'd treat you with respect and also give back however.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

HH, we were one of the first papers to start dealing with others on this basis -- slip us what we need, and we'll do it for you next time you need something. It's been working well for 10 years now, with the exception of jerkoffs like this one.

This has become common courtesy in the last decade, whereas I know it wasn't earlier.

I'd go as far as to say I'd like to know who they are, because I wouldn't help them in a pinch if they want to charge money for this.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Been on both sides of this, never had a problem sending a paper a photo or asking another for some help.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Is this the paper that hasn't played well with others in the past?

If so, fuck 'em, feed 'em fish heads.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Indeedy.

7. BobSinclair

BobSinclair New Member

We always share with the idea that they would give us some free photos if we needed them (and many times we often DO get them back). Seems to work well.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

And here I thought this thread was about HH hitting up the Bunny Ranch. 8)

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Change the handle bigpern to bigperv. No one on this thread would EVER make that sexual connection. FOR SHAME!

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Now that I've been beaten to the sex joke punch, I'll ask a serious question: Is this paper a competitor? Or are you talking about a game in which your local team is playing a team from another coverage area far away from your town?

If it's the latter, I'd share photos. If not, no way. Why would you want to help the immediate competition?

It's got nothing to do with karma or being a nice guy. I want my section to be better than the one I'm competing against.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

According to Mapquest, the newspaper in question is 739 miles away, give or take.

I will contrast their behavior with that of the Tallahassee Democrat, which gladly (well, willingly) sent me a photo earlier in the year under similar circumstances. For free.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I wouldn't trade with the next-door neighbor, BYH, but I'm guessing I'd get closer to my coverage area than you would. A lot of times when we're doing a state finals preview wrap, I'm getting art from 8-10 papers around the state.

Draft saved Draft deleted