1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm accustomed to getting it for free ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 18, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Let's say your paper is handling a game assignment and another paper calls looking for a photo from that game.

Assuming you're using a staff shooter, will your paper typically send the photo as a courtesy – on the theory that next time, you may need some help – or do have have a fixed charge?

Let me say, in my most recent 5 or 6 years of daily desking, it seems like most papers will send a couple of photos for free, but I'm curious if tightening budgets are changing that scenario.

2. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

We send it for free, on the theory that what goes around comes around.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Good karma. We do it for free.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I will always help. All I ask is for proper attribution and when I call, you pick up the phone.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I've rarely had anybody ask for anything but a credit, and those that have, I almost universally have said, "thanks but no thanks, and please keep this conversation in mind if you ever need anything from us."

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ask for proper credit, and with the understanding that they'll owe you a favor should you ever need one.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

We send photos free to other papers, because we may need one from them sometime.

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Agreed.

9. HejiraHenry

Well, there's a paper today I was dealing with that didn't feel that way.

They were basically trying to pay for their own assignment on my back.

They were staffing a game tonight and wanted $75 per photo ... again, for something they were shooting to begin with.

I politely declined.

Is it worth pushing a post-mortem complaint up the line or should I just drop it?

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

They seriously wanted to charge $75? That is ludicrous.

11. HejiraHenry

No ... $75 per. I was looking for a couple of photos if I could get them, so we're talking $150.

That's a decent day rate out in the sticks.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I hear ya.

Draft saved Draft deleted