1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm absolutely in shock, right now

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jun 22, 2009.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I learned about 15 minutes ago, through a Facebook video a friend tagged in, that an old friend has been killed in Afghanistan. He died last summer in a fire fight.

When I was in school at Ole Miss, Donnie Carwile worked at Handy Andy Barbecue, my favorite place. Donnie had been a police officer, by trade, but worked part time at Handy Andy. He many times wore a Marine Corps shirt, and I gave him shit about it. He dropped law enforcement -- like he told me he was going to do -- in 2006 and went to Officer Candidate School and commissioned into the Army.

He was an Infantryman, stationed at Ft. Campbell. A lieutenant, leading soldiers.

At about 6 p.m. today, I answered a phone call from my panicked mother, ensuring I wasn't involved in a crash that occurred about three or four miles from my house, killing one.

Ashley and I drove by the site. It was balled up pretty good. The student apparently walked away, but the instructor pilot was killed, rumor has it.

Holy shit.

What a day.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about that, tbf.

My thoughts are with you.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Hell of a 1-2 punch, tbf. Prayers are with you, and Donnie's family.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

What they said.

Lean on friends -- here, there and everywhere.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your friend, t_b_f.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear it t_b_f

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

That's awful, TBF... my condolences.

8. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted