1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm a fan of -- gasp! -- a reality show

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SF_Express, Dec 15, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I get the feeling that as much as Hung can be annoying, giving him the "Huge Dick" edit is a stretch.

Marcel or Steven, he ain't.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

They basically split Marcel into two components -- irritating nouvelle disciple (Hung) and jerkoff (Howie).

Here's a conundrum: I remember it coming up a couple of times last season and possibly this one about how there's never been a female Top Chef and that winning it would be some sort of girl power statement. But how much of a feminist revolution is it if they're establishing that women are best in the kitchen?

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Tiffani should have arguably won the first season. She certainly took more risks.

It would probably be a statement because in the world of professional cooking, most chefs are still men.

But it isn't likely to happen this year.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Oh, no doubt. I was just thinking of the convergence of "women finally getting the respect accorded to their male counterparts" and "women belong in the kitchen."

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Sam was awesome. How dare you!

That being said, I just haven't been wowed by anyone this season outside of Tre and Hung. You guys talk about Casey and Dale like they're givens, but neither of them has impressed me. Maybe I haven't been as into it, watching it while checking e-mail or whatever...but this season just hasn't grabbed me like past seasons have.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Actually, I totally agree. Neither Casey or Dale has impressed me that much. But Dale was destined for the final four, I think, because he does have chops. He'll put a decent plate of food up, every time.

If I would have had to give you a final four after the first few rounds, I'd have said Hung, Tre, CJ and Dale, in that order.

With Tre and CJ gone, who the fuck knows other than Hung.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm going off of the way last season went and the tendencies of the judges (jesus, Padma has a cookbook?) Though in theory, the top three should be easily separated from the other two, giving the point that Sara can occasionally put something good out and the rest of them can fart it up.

The only two people who've been consistently good: Tre early (which made his getting turfed over Brian such a joke) and Casey now. No Sam-like performances this time.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

As widely predicted here, Dale and Sara were the bottom two, with Brian reaching deep in his bag for a crustless sheperd's pie that seemed to fool the judges. Sara got sent home, and I agree that serving raw chicken is, in and of itself, reason enough to send someone home. (Of course, it didn't send Marcel home when he did the same thing at nearly the same point a season ago, but whatever.)

This is verging on the very predictable at this point. I'll watch through the end, but, damn.

Anywhoo, here's my handicapping of the final four.

Hung -- Even

Casey -- 3-1

Brian -- 5-1

Dale -- 10-1

Either Brian or Dale could go next time -- or even Casey, I suppose -- but I think we're staring a Hung and Casey final in the face, with Hung winning with relative ease.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I guess they got their unpredictable moves out of the way early with Tre and Joey. I assume they'll kick two out next week, so I'm guessing Brian and Dale are done. Hung and Casey have been a cut above for the last month, so unless one of them serves a steaming cauldron of fail next week, they'll be safe.

I think Casey ends up winning. I think Tom C, his man crush on cueball brother Tre ended too soon, wants to do Casey. I think Tom C looks like a fat bald douchebag version of Cal Ripken Jr.

10. Mira

Mira Member

I agree about Hung and Casey reaching the final. But it cracked me up last night when the French dude kept saying how attractive he thought Casey was. "You're good looking, baby, but Hung is, well, Hung."

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If Casey does win, it will probably be only because they want to have a woman win.

She clearly played possum early, but Hung is the best cook left.

That said, her Not Coq-a-Vin was the best looking dish I saw last night.

On the TWOP boards, they call Tom "Coldickio".

Funny shit.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Oh Lordy loo, I bet Ted Allen wishes he was on that episode.

Draft saved Draft deleted