1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm a fan of -- gasp! -- a reality show

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SF_Express, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've only watched one reality show, My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss. And I actually got into it through 4-5 episodes. And then FOX, fucking FOX, deep-sixed the show mid-season. I really want to know how it would've ended.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I want to like Betty, but every now and then, I go ... "There's a woman from hell in there somewhere."

Marcel on the beach was indeed hilarious.

I love Mikey -- what he was doing on the beach was just him. Kind of guy who hangs out in my local saloon.

He has absolutely zero chance of winning of course. It's pretty much just the way things have broken -- right team, somebody simply worse -- that he has hung around this long.

Sam's my early favorite to win it. Marcel will get thrown under the bus by somebody at some point.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What did Bourdain call Mike?

The bastard child of Betty Crocker and Charles Manson?

And I loved it when he called his dish, "Flinstonian in execution."

And SF --
    Marcel sucks. Ask any real chef, that foam bullshit is, well, bullshit.

And his presentation lacks any kind of respect for the food.

All redundant style, from what I can tell. Of course, I have no idea how it tastes.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

One thing that this show has taught me is that even if I ever make a lot of money, I'll probably never go to those expense-account restaurants if I can help it, not if this is the sort of thing they're going to be making me. Foam? I make them hold the foam at Starbucks, why the fucking fuck am I going to want it as an intergal part of a main course? Napoleons? No? I'm a (mystery) meat and potatoes guy; I ever make it, all I'm doing is switching sirloin and Russetts out for kobe and Yukon Golds.

http://www.bravotv.com/blog/tomcolicchio is a really good read. Sure, he has a lot of time to compose his thoughts, but it turns out Tom's a pretty decent writer (or it's getting ghosted).

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yes, I thought that same thing.

He might be talking and getting a transcription, but I'm pretty sure it's his words. "Sounds" like him.

6. This show is most definitely a guilty pleasure.

I hope Marcel sticks around for a while longer, if only for the amusement factor...

7. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

also, bourdain asking colicchio, "what kind of crackhouse are you running here?"
    typical bourdain. just great.

and that foam thing is a real lighting rod among chefs. scott bryan just hates it and says Ferran Adriá's stuff is bullshit.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So what IS the deal with foam? Did this Adriá dude or someone in the wave before him think "hey, you know what this complicated dish could use is flavored foam?" Is there something about the texture of foam that enhances or radically changes flavor? Or do the manatees that write Family Guy also create menus for avant-garde chefs?

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

this is a great show...I tivo this and Project Runway...they're both talent contests, very different than a Survivor or Real World.

And Zeke....honestly, can you really plan and cook an excellent meal in the timeframes they're given? Sometimes they're given an odd ingredient, and then asked to make an appetizer and entre within 30 minutes.

It's the creativity in such a short time frame that impresses me most

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

My favorite cooking show, other than Iron Chef, has become "Food Network's Next Top Star." I liked seeing all the things they had to be able to do to be a Food Network star and how little cooking was actually involved.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

There's a famous restaurant in Spain someplace where the guy does all sorts of strange things with foam, and it's very cutting edge, I guess.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted