1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Illinois's or Illinois'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Need a little help.
    Editing something for a poet laureate and he used "Illinois's." I think it looks horrible, but I want to make sure before I go correcting this guy.
    Thoughts?

2. I think either is acceptable for non-newspapers, but I've never seen a newspaper use s's as a possessive.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Interestingly, I Googled "Illinois's" and the second hit was from the Washington Post.

4. Strange. Of course, the WaPo has its own style manual. AP style stipulates just an apostrophe after a noun.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Illinois'

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Ellis is right. They have their own style manual. S'S seems a bit superfluous.
    NY and LA Times (and AP) use S'.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I agree that s's is superfluous.

But how do you guys feel about x's? Like, say, Podunk High quarterback Harry Cox's first pass was intercepted? Or is it Harry Cox' first pass?

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, the other thing is, a poet laureate is going to perhaps be edited differently than a newspaper story on a basketball recruit.

Ours and AP style is Illinois' -- but honest to god, it probably ought to be how the poet laureate wants it.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Old school editing says Illinois's, new school editing says Illinois'.
    This has been a topic before and one old rule was that if the S was silent, then you would add the 'S to make to possessive. If the S wasn't silent, then it would be just the apostrophe.
    Another old rule is that with proper names you always add the 'S. So it would be Jesus's cross or Bonds's homerun.
    Kinda depends on the paper and if they have a style or if they just follow the AP.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I've always been told that it's only an apostrophe after an s, x or z.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

That's what we decided.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What I go with.

Draft saved Draft deleted