1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Illinois Senate backs media photogs; IHSA, IPA agreement reached

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Toby Carrig, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Toby Carrig

Toby Carrig Member

The photography resale rights pops up on this board from time to time but I didn't see anything on this week's developments in Illinois.
    From The Associated Press:
    <blockquote> The state Senate voted 47-5 Tuesday to require the Illinois High School Association to let media resell photos they take at IHSA games, such as state tournaments in basketball and football.
    Media groups and the IHSA have been fighting since the IHSA last fall barred several newspaper photographers from the sidelines at the state football championship unless they agreed not to resell their photos.
    The IHSA argues it should have exclusive authority to sell event photographs, while media outlets say it's an unfair infringement of their rights. The dispute is still pending in court.
    Critics say the solution is more about profits than parental pride.
    They say the IHSA has not barred media entirely from shooting at its events and predict high schools will lose money from purchases of media photos by family and others.</blockquote>

The House is considering a similar bill.
    The National Press Photographers Association also had this item on its Web site: http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/news/2008/04/illinois09.html.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Re: Illinois Senate backs photographers

Good move my Ill gov.

3. Re: Illinois Senate backs media photographers

Suck it, IHSA

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Re: Illinois Senate backs media photographers

Good move by Ill. gov. It's no longer my gov. IHSA isn't good with legal battles. It hosts the original March Madness, yet the NCAA still can use the name because the NCAA won a case.

5. Re: Illinois Senate backs media photographers

Jeremy, you talking to yourself again?

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

What else did you expect from Governor Boyardee -- er, Blagojevich?

7. Jeremy Goodwin

yes.
    Sell illegal truck driver licenses?

8. zonazonazona

zonazonazona New Member

We're dealing with the same fight in Arizona now... maybe this will serve as backing to win that battle...

9. chazp

chazp Active Member

Props to the Illinois senate.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that ... I'll have to bring it up the next time our HS association tries to make threats.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

In fact, I just fired off an email to my state press association hoping they'll try to enact similar legislation here.

There hasn't been much of an uproar about it here except from me, it seems. I'd like to see us putting up a much bigger stink about it.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Now, if only the SEC will let anyone come in to shoot photos at their events... games, practices... or, ya know. Whatever...

Draft saved Draft deleted