1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Illegal Immigrants / Motor Vehicle License?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 1, 2007.

?

Should Illegal Immigrants be given a motor vehicle license?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    88.2%
  1. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

I thought I-9 forms were supposed to keep illegal aliens from getting jobs. Of course, those two different forms of identification can always be fabricated.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

They can go to college but pay out of state tuition like anyone else who doesn't reside in that state legally.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You really think they provide all the most accurate information? They sure as hell don't always do that when they apply for jobs, which is why Jose in the poultry plant is known as Hector by his friends outside of it, for example. Why are they going to be honest with the government? It's a nice argument, but I'm far too cynical to believe someone here illegally using phony documents to misrepresent himself some of the time then won't go ahead and do it for a driver's license.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Yeah it has nothing to do with employers looking for cheap labor who conveniently forget or don't bother checking up on the veracity of those forms. ::)

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

If you read anything on this issue, you'd know that the ID requirements are pretty stringent. I bolded a section for Mr. Hecht.

From the USA Today:

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

There was a plan that died in the federal legislature this spring that I thought was a good synthesis of realism and idealism. It provided for a path to citizenship for those who are already here, deporting resident aliens who commit felonies and streamlining the verification system for employers, which is a broken system. Too bad some version of the plan didn't pass.

I'm very aware that the flood of undocumented workers is a problem. It's a big problem where I live. People use phony documents to get hired. Employers look the other way. The tax money taken out of paychecks from workers with bogus Social Security Numbers is still with the feds. Part of the plan that died in the spring inloved taking that money and giving some of it to small communities whose schools/health care systems/criminal justice systems have been stressed by the presence of immigrant workers.

Still, when my ancestors showed up, we killed the people who were living here and took their land. I can't help but observe that this current wave of immigrants aren't quite as much a pain in the ass to those who got here first as my forebears were. Just sayin'. Invasion, my ass. Invasion's what my folks did.

7. Flying Headbutt

Oh yeah, illegal immigrants working for barely minimum wage here are going to be carrying passports. Sure they are.

8. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

And if they're not, they won't be getting drivers licenses. What's your point?

9. Flying Headbutt

That it's pretty toothless then. Seems to solve little or nothing.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What will you do when La Reconquista comes, andyouare?

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

First of all, you're assuming every illegal immigrant in New York has just crossed the border from Mexico, which is wrong. There are a lot of illegal immigrants in New York from lots of different countries. Many of whom came into the country on some type of visa and then never left.

Can you prove that a significant number of illegal immigrants in New York don't have passports or some other type of identification? That seems to be the basis of your argument.

12. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Oh you'll see. You'll all see. I'm taking notes.

Draft saved Draft deleted