1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Illegal Immigrants / Motor Vehicle License?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 1, 2007.

?

Should Illegal Immigrants be given a motor vehicle license?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    88.2%
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How do you know the "illegals" aren't paying taxes? If they aren't, they are being paid under the table, which is a bigger sin for the one doing the paying, if you ask me.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Here's some background for those not current on the story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/31/nyregion/31spitzer.html

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I have no idea what your point is. If someone goes through college and gets a job, even if they're an illegal immigrant, they're going to pay taxes. They have to have a social security number to get into college -- even if it's fake. They're going to pay taxes down the line.

Now, a guy cutting grass for $4/hour? Yeah, he's probably not paying taxes. Not that the US government would collect much from someone earning $15,000/year. He would pay no money, or, depending on deductions, he might actually get money back from the government.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Why should people who break the law be rewarded?

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Oh so we're changing the subject now, OK.

Look whether or not you like the fact that they're in this country, they're in this country. If you accept the fact -- and I hope you do -- that you can't deport them all, then the next question is how do you make the best of a bad situation?

Would you rather have an uneducated illegal immigrant in this country, or somebody who went to college and is making a positive contribution?

And, again, if you're talking about the children of people who came here illegally, why should we punish them for the decision their parents made? They didn't have a choice.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No, you can't catch them all but there is absolutely no reason to give them a benefit they don't deserve either.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

And if you don't give them that benefit what do they do? Work at Wal-Mart, cut your grass? Yeah that'll teach 'em.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Ditto.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Notwithstanding my deep love and respect for the pollster, who probably has some opinion on the subject ::), and my long-standing policy of staying off his political threads, I need to say this:

1. As a matter of public safety, I want my fellow drivers to be licensed and insured. In my state, proof of insurance is required before a licence can be obtained. Take away the right to obtain a license, you're going to have just as many drivers, but now a million or so won't know the rules of the road or have the insurance to cover the damage they're going to cause.

2. A license creates SOME sort of registration, ie, record of existence. I don't know if this is true for all states, but in mine, proof of a valid SSN is required (as I found out earlier today, when I went to renew my license and was told no dice, that the name on my SS card does not match my license because I don't use my full name on my license as it appears on the card, ARE YOU KIDDING ME??).

3. The problem of illegal immigration didn't start with the DMV, it started at the borders. Fix that problem first.

I don't see it as a benefit to the illegals.....it's a benefit to the rest of us.

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

But they're illegal! Maybe if we keep saying that they'll all go away.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

So regular air-travel users should be forced to get passports so lawbreakers can enjoy the benefits of state driver's licenses?

Bull.

And, in passing . . . any national ID card (a flip solution frequently advanced by shallow thinkers) is the next step towards instituting the goosestep as the national dance.

12. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Could someone translate any of this to english? Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted