1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Illegal Immigrants / Motor Vehicle License?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 1, 2007.

?

Should Illegal Immigrants be given a motor vehicle license?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    88.2%
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Governor of New York State wants to allow illegal immigrants to be eligible to obtain New York State Drivers license.

Said proposal has created a raging debate with good points made from both sides of argument.

How do you feel?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Boom, I'm interested in your opinion on this one.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think Lou Dobbs is behind this and wants to plant GPS devices that will direct all the illegal drivers back to the Mexican border no matter where they want to go.

My serious feeling is if companies are outlawed to outsource good jobs overseas, I don't have a problem with folks coming here taking mostly jobs no one here wants.

The only reason most of them are "illegal" is because they'd never legally make it through the red tape and bureaucracy. Whose fault is that?

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

The Erie County clerk (County clerks run the local DMV offices in NY) said that they'll be happy to issue driver's licenses to illegal aliens, then they will call INS to deport them.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Now here's a take that you have to laugh at.

http://www.scrappleface.com/?p=2753

Two of the best lines:
    "As Democrat presidential candidate Hillary Clinton continues to work round the clock with advisers to determine exactly how she feels ..."

“In addition, since the flight certificate requires fluency in English, it would inspire him to learn one of our nation’s most important languages. So there’s a big potential upside.”

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

...and the INS, completely overwhelmed and understaffed, will do nothing about it.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

And there hasn't been an agency called the INS for more than 4 years, so these guys are on top of everything.

8. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Whether or not illegal immigrants have drivers licenses, they're still going to drive. It's not like there's a slot on your car that you have to insert your drivers license into in order to start the engine.

The difference would be these people would be documented. You'd know there names, where they live, etc. I don't see the problem with that.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Another question is whether illegal immigrant students should receive in-state tuition even though the kids have been residing in that state illegally?

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I made that correction because it's an important distinction. It's not like when you're 5, 10 or even 14 years old that you can have much influence over where you live.

As far as getting in-state tuition...why not? We should be encouraging as many people as possible to go to college, regardless of their background. A better educated populace leads to better paying jobs, more money going into the economy, etc.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wicked - pollsters do not provide their opinions. We do not want to skew poll one way or another.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And if you or I didn't pay our taxes we'd go to prison.

Draft saved Draft deleted