1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'll Take Fat Man, You Take Skinny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Fair or unfair, Perry is being punished because he's another governor of Texas who sometimes doesn't come across to well in debates and similar situations...

I have mixed feelings on the guy. If it's between him and Romney, I'm going with Mitt.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

So who will the Tea Party run as a third-party candidate?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There is nothing remotely interesting about a Romney candidacy.
    I'm still voting for Obama in 2012.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Samuel Adams?

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't think that's going to be true. At least, not initially. Romney is polling no higher than 25 percent. The Tea Party types, and even the Wall Street types, are desperate to find a candidate who can catch fire with the base and the general voter. They tried with Rick Perry, but he shit the bed.

Perhaps in the general there will be enough people virulently anti-Obama to show up and vote for the Republican, whomever he or she is. But while the money might coalesce around Romney, I don't see the Republican primary voters doing the same.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

At this point I'd be stunned if it's not Romney vs Obama. Romney has his shit together to a far greater degree than the rest of the lot, and eventually even those who are reluctant to back him will do so because he'll be the challenger to Obama. And in the end, I think just about anyone short of Ralph Nader who had an (R) next to their name would have no problem turning out the vote among the conservative side.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not from me. Christy might have got me back to the Republican camp. Romney is the Republican version of John Kerry.

8. Mizzougrad96

It's a pretty good comparison. I think Romney has more charisma than Kerry had, which isn't saying much...

I'd be lying if I said Romney excited me, but there would also be a sense of relief that we didn't wind up with one of the "extreme" candidates.

I also think Romney will pick someone who is Tea Party friendly as a running mate. It's a pretty smart move.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Save us, Bobby Jindal!

10. Mizzougrad96

I think anybody other than Palin jumping in now reeks of desperation. I think Palin getting in would be a mistake as well, but at least she's been on the radar. Jindal and Barbour have been pretty quiet.

Draft saved Draft deleted