1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'll take baseball over the NFL any day.... when it comes to choosing all-stars

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Re: I'll take baseball over the NFL any day.... when it comes to choosing all-st

Nice job.

From that same episode: "I wish I wish I hadn't squished that fish."

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's the freaking Pro Bowl..a post-season exhibition game that nobody gives a flying fuck about.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Which do you care about more, the Pro Bowl or my fantasy team?

Fuck off is not an acceptable answer.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Fuck off, Zeke

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well played.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Talking about grooving a pitch, Zeke ... ;D

Willie Parker over Fred Taylor?
    Jason Taylor over Mario Williams?
    Ben Roethlisberger over Derek Anderson?

Yikes.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sam, I agree on Taylor. He should be there in place of Addai or Parker. I can understand putting Parker in since he is leading the NFL in rushing and he has been up near the top all season, but Taylor is the better back.

I have to disagree with the assertion that there is some injustice to Roethlisberger going ahead of Anderson. I could see either guy going.

The only statistical advantage Anderson has over Roethlisberger is yardage. The Browns throw a lot more than the Steelers. They also have better weapons in the passing game and their line protects the passer better. The Steelers don't have anybody that can match Edwards or Winslow.

Roethlisberger has more touchdown passes (29-26), fewer interceptions (11-14) and a much higher completion percentage (64.7-56.2).

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The first two I will continue to charge forward.

Derek Anderson and Ben Roethlisberger is one I wouldn't hold the line over. And while I accept your points of argument as legitimate, the one thing left out is Cleveland doesn't have a fraction of Pittsburgh's running game. When you have the parachute that Ben has in Willie Parker and that offensive line in terms of run-blocking - versus Cleveland's improving but still raw line and Jamal Lewis in the backfield - Anderson shouldn't be punished too excessively.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, Mario Williams belongs. So does Fred Taylor. Though sometimes people go too much off early impressions and Taylor has really come on the last few games.

Anderson has been great. Sucks that he didn't get selected because he is definitely good enough, but he could easily wind up finding some consolation in leading his team to an AFC North Championship.

But I think you are underrating what he has around him. Jamal Lewis has 1,084 yards and nine touchdowns, averaging 4.3 per carry. Parker averages 4.1 per carry. Lewis has carried the ball less, but you could argue that he has been more effective.

And I'd take the Browns' line in pass protection over the Steelers right now. It wasn't that way when the season started, but it it is now. Roethlisberger is taking an absolute beating every week.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Seriously? You're arguing for Anderson over Roethlisberger? On what basis? Is Anderson better looking? It can't be on football.

Roethlisberger
    2nd in conference in passer rating
    2897 yards, 29 TDs, 11 picks, 64.7 percent completions

Anderson
    8th in conference in passer rating
    3384 yards, 26 TDs, 14 picks, 56.2 percent completions.

11. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

The center for the Cowboys makes it and he has snapped at least five balls over Romo's head. Every snap is in question with him.

12. There's plenty of people to bitch about making the Pro Bowl before getting to Gurode.

Draft saved Draft deleted