1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'll send an SOS to the world

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by the fop, Jan 4, 2007.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Tilbrook, Jools and the drummer -- Gilson Lavis, I think -- all backed out. Jools and Lavis were pissed off about the way they were approached, and they're pretty successful now anyway. I think Tilbrook would probably do it under the right circumstances but his relationship with Difford gets shaky. (They never approached Carrack for the show, since he only replaced Jools for one album.) Difford was willing, but I think Difford was responsible for a lot of the bickering in the band in the first place. I believe Keith Wilkinson was willing, too, for what that's worth -- they went through bass players like Spinal Tap goes through drummers.

I actually saw Difford and Tilbrook touring as "Difford and Tilbrook" during the temporary Squeeze breakup between "Sweets From A Stranger" and "Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti." The show (and the album) paled next to Squeeze, who were pretty terrific live.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Good to see...and about fucking time.

I don't care much for "Synchronicity." Strangely enough, I prefer the band's early work, in particular "Outlandos d'Amour."

Then again, who doesn't love songs about hookers, suicide and blowup dolls? :D

3. lono

lono Active Member

He's a successful drive-time FM DJ in Northern California and he still has a band, too. His son plays guitar with him.

4. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

Wait 'til you come work for me, Mr. Stinger. ;) ;)

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ah heck, let's reunite Haircut 100 while we're at it. Anyone for some Spandau Ballet?

If this reunion happens, I am THERE.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Does it not matter that Carrack was the vocalist for the most memorable song Squeeze ever released? :)

VH1 could actually do a "Paul Carrack Week" by reuniting all the bands he's had hit records with over the years. Of course, nobody would watch it other than me and possibly BYH.

Not sure about the latter group, but Haircut 100 did in fact reunite on the show. They played "Love Plus One" and some other old tunes that few people in North America, if anybody, had ever heard before and wouldn't recognize if they heard them again now.

Alas, that didn't stop the audience from cheering as if they were listening to Duran Duran. They must have been getting paid by the decibel.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The local Bob / Jack / Tom FM station played "Synchronicity II" on my way home. Probably the first time in 15 years I heard that song played on the radio.

Synchronicity, indeed.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Howwww long, has this been going on?? ::) ;)

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've seen Paul Carrack live twice - as a member of Madness (he lasted one tour) and Nick Lowe and His Cowboy Outfit (one album and one tour, I think).

They let him play "Tempted" both times. I've also seen "Tempted" performed by Squeeze, Difford & Tilbrook, and just to bring the thread full-circle... Sting.

10. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Sting's version of Tempted is great.

Paul Carrack is like the Paul Rodgers of England.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I just watched the Conan O'Brien 10-year anniversary show DVD and one of the extras is the skit Conan did in a USA for Africa parody where he tried to get the stars out to do a song about helping people. Phil Collins and Tina Turner are no-shows, but Sting shows up and tries to get out of doing it the whole time before eventually singing with the boys. Funny stuff.

The Police returning for a tour would be epic, but I'd hope Sting would legitmately want to do it. He's the one who always balked at a reunion. I also agree with many others on this thread that Copeland is a solid drummer.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Great song. For whoever asked earlier if they will play "Mother," man, great question. That was a f'd up song, wasn't it? Sounded like some "Psycho" stuff. Sting would have to give up the mic for that one, so, hmmm, not sure if that will happen. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted