1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'll miss you, Kim - Clijsters retiring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John, May 6, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Game, set, match: Clijsters is done with tennis

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) -- Kim Clijsters ended her tennis career Sunday, cutting short plans to retire at the end of the season because of chronic injuries.

The 23-year-old Belgian, once ranked No. 1 and winner of the 2005 U.S. Open, said on her Web site it was time to stop immediately after playing for 10 years and start a "new life." She won the 2002 and 2003 WTA Championships as part of her career 34 singles titles.

Clijsters is now ranked No. 4. She lost in straight sets to Ukrainian qualifier Julia Vakulenko on Thursday in her final match, failing to retain her title in Warsaw, Poland.

"It has been more than fun, but the rackets are being hung up," she said. "To retire before the age of 24, it is very young -- but it was so beautiful. I would have been able to continue for a few months and to take part in the four most lucrative tournaments (three Grand Slams and the Masters).

"Money is important, but not the most important thing in my life. Health and private happiness are so much more important."

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=Aqhm6wf8UK1aqA1ceMS0uLM5nYcB?slug=ap-clijstersretires&prov=ap&type=lgns

She was one of my favorites -- talented, sweet and classy. I'll miss watching her play.

2. nafselon

nafselon Active Member

A total class act and a sportsman from the beginning to the end. Lot of heart and I think she'll continue to be an presence in tennis whether she's announcing or doing charity events or whatever. It's a great thing to retire so young and do the things that are important to her.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

She still playing mixed dobles with Lleyton Hewitt?

4. nafselon

nafselon Active Member

Uhhh no. She deserves a Purple Heart for putting up with that bitchboy as long as she did.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Kimmy is now a Jersey girl .... marrying former Villanova hoopster Brian Lynch, a Jersey shore guy

6. ifilus

ifilus Active Member

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

She's smart, although not smart enough to have done it at the end of last year.

The part-time schedule she was on was just an injury waiting to happen, especially for her.

Photos I saw of her tournament last week in Poland displayed a pretty nice pooch. Either she's already ahead of the game (shotgun) in starting a family or she's just out of shape.

Clearly tennis was always merely something she's good at, not something she truly gave a shit about. She had enough talent to be a multiple grand slam winner; unfortunately she ends with one. Too bad (for tennis, not for her personally) she didn't have the hunger and drive, too.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Saw her last match in Miami six weeks ago.

Crowd was really behind her. But the fire just wasn't there.

9. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

She is not playing "mixed doubles" with Hewitt...he is engaged to some model and I think she is marrying someone to, if I am not mistaken.

She will be sorely missed on the international women's tennis circuit. She was a class act on the tour and her play spoke for itself. It is too bad that injuries put her into retirement at such a young age. If she has stayed, I think she would have gotten only better.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think if she wanted to she can pull a JenCap or an Agassi, take a year or three off and heal up, and return as just as competitive a star.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

23 years old? Wow.

12. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

BYe!

She was boring, and consistently got beat by her countrywoMAN.

Draft saved Draft deleted